poison ivy

Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM

I feel your pain, I haven't had it for a long time, take care
Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM

My grandmother, back in the 50's got it several times when she and my grandfather were trying to clear a lot on which to built. At the time, the Clorox bottle had a 'recipe' on it to cure poison ivy. It was a mix of Clorox and water. She used it religiously and it worked. Several years ago, my daughter got in some and I wrote the Colrox folks and they denied ever having it on their bottle. Alas, I remember it well.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM

best part- I was telling my son- don't go near that PI- he was brushing his sneaker over it about 10 feet in front of me and then I turned to my right and there it was. Darn!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM

I get poison ivy bad too. So now if I know I will be around it (like pulling weeds out of the blackberry bushes) I immediately take a bath with Dawn blue dish washing soap. This is the one that they use to clean the oil from the birds in the oil spills. It is suppose to get rid of the oil from the plant. So far it has worked.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM

poison ivy in miserable... had it once.. found out too late to use unsented hair spray after washing area with good soap and water patting dry, then spray.... they said it would work.... good luck.

radardog
Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM

unfortunately, you and I should form a club ... I am covered from head to toe and wasn't even digging outside ... doc says I am one of those who just can't walk by without breaking out ... stay inside on windy days

Everything is oozing and it looks like I have catepillars climbing up my arms, back, legs and unmentionable places ... baking soda used as a powder is working wonders ... also anything that contains oatmeal is soothing and stops the itching ... have heard about bleach but I have raw skin and the pain would be terrible. Did try an oatmeal paste but it is soooooo messy ... I sure hope your predition of 10 days is a bit long ... am in day 8 and it doesn't look promising.

Good luck to you ... and me! ;-)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM

rubbing alcahol will help dry it uot burn but works also putting crushed plantain leaves or plantain outment helps the itch i find those two together works better than the stuff from the doc.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM

I get PI real bad too. I've even gotten it from the pets and/or DH clothes. Lye soap helped dry mine up. I've tried with good results Sliver Salve from the Health Foods store and also they recommend Pure Emu Oil. Some suggested that using blue Dawn as an ointment works too. I was over the PI when I heard of that. Last year I was ready to try anything except bleach. According to my SIL who is my dr it does take 10 to 14 days to stop breaking out. Good luck, I do know how miserable you are.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Please go to the doctor. If this is systemic, and it sounds like it is, it could go into your blood. There is medicine that clears this stuff up quickly. Your doctor will know if you can take this kind of medicine. This isn't something that just finishes and goes away. I learned the hard way.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 PM

First find out where you are getting it, so you don`t go there again! Next (my-son-law) gets it real bad, and I found a kit or some kind in a drug store, and it seems to work for him, a little pricy, but there will be coupons in Women`s Day and Family circle soon as they were there last summer.