soap for leg cramps

Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM

For the past 5 years I've been taking a magnesium tablet at dinner time. Works for me as when I miss one my leg hurts.
---------------------------------
Many years ago I started making my late DH a magnesium rub for his painful legs and back. I took 4 tablespoons each of water and Epsom Salt and heated it till dissolved and then added a touch more of coconut oil, took off the heat and stirred. Then stirred now and then till hardened. It keeps a long time and soaks in nicely.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 AM

I've heard of this. I think it has been in Dr. Gott's column also.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 AM

It works for me! :)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Wow, nener heard of that, but I'm certainly going to try it. Wonder if it works for restless legs too ?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Leg cramps at night is a circulation issue akin to restless leg syndrome. I used to get it too, especially if I slept on my back with the toes pointing skyward and the top sheet tucked in at the bottom. They were bad enough to send me yowling up out of bed to stomp the cramp away. I found a fix that is easy, don't tuck the top sheet in at the bottom of the bed and scooch down so that you feet just dangle off the edge, it keeps the foot at the Right relaxed angle to avoid cramping up.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
DH takes a lot of meds and mentioned to his doc that he sometimes gets leg cramps at night. The physician's assistant said, Put a bar of soap under the sheet down by your legs.

I was flabbergasted to hear this from a medical person at a university teaching hospital/ medical center. But I looked it up online and a lot of people swear by it.

I put it in the bed last night, so we will see if it works. I should put it between the 2 of us as I get them sometimes too.

I do that on a regular basis and have for several years. I also keep a bar of soap in my purse as my legs tend to cramp when I'm in a car. I've had real good look with just rubbing the cramp with the bar of soap in that case.

DO NOT KNOW WHY IT WORKS--------but it does.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
By any stretch of my imagination, this one makes NO sense to me! Except as a hypnotherapist, I can see it being what we call 'waking hypnosis', or power of suggestion.

Can hardly wait to read any further comments on the reasons this seems to work! :?

Jan in VA
Power of soap--------------not power of suggestion!
Don't know why, but it works.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
Does not make sense to me

First thing I would say is Get A New Pair Of Shoes!
shoes?????????? Oh, those things most people put on their feet?

it works! PERIOD!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
Sorry Doreen-wish you could eat bananas. My father has had the most horrible leg cramps for years, they would be so bad he would roll around on the floor in agony. If he eats a banana it raises his potassium and his cramps go away. I have Restless leg syndrome, ended up having to take a muscle relaxant at night so I could sleep. Eating a banana helps with daytime cramping in my feet and legs. (Soap in bed never helped either of us.)
Almost forgot, for years dad got a prescription for quinine and it worked. Old doc retired and newer docs won't prescribe it, they say just drink soda that has quinine in it. Dad would be in bathroom all night if he drank enough soda for it to help.
Quinine is no longer available----------no matter how much you want it. Except in quinine soda.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I will have to check this out, as I have had some wicked leg cramps the last two nights, even with the meds I take for restless leg syndrome. Too bad I never managed to kick my husband when that happened before we moved and now have separate bedrooms (couldn't fit in a king size bed in the apt. and we could not sleep in a queen bed together-not enough room). I'm going to try it to see if it works.