Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby Fabric >

Hobby Lobby Fabric

Hobby Lobby Fabric

Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM

I like hobby lobby it is always good shopping there I can go in, in a bad mood but always come out happy because of their uplifting music. I am glad they are closed on Sundays everyone should be. As for the fabric they have good fabric and good prices BUT a couple of years ago 4 of the stores I know of cut way back on their selection of fabric and patterns
Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM

To answer your question, I used to live in the Bible belt, and I've been picked out as a non-believer in many places hundreds, if not thousands of times. Just a few common scenarios in which it's happened: people noticing a pagan symbol I was wearing, or asking for halloween fabrics and being told that I shouldn't "celebrate the devil" that way, asking if they have any pagan fabrics and receiving a lecture on how I need to "save myself" and "accept our lord and saviour," and the most common was people trying to be friendly and strike up a conversation by commenting on "how great god's grace is," or "what church do you go to" which invariably leads me to saying "none" or "I don't worship that god." I lived in several parts of the Bible belt for many years (not that this sort of thing happens solely in the Bible belt), and my admission to being non-Christian was invariably met with at the best, comments on my damnation, and at worst, impassioned proselytizing. Given the hostility that I and others I know experienced, I suspect that the Bible belt has actually produced more atheists than Christians.

I believe strongly in being able to worship as one chooses. I do not appreciate it, however, when people assume that everyone else shares their faith. I've just seen too much hate when people of a different, or no faith, do things differently. There's nothing wrong with closing a store on Sunday for worship, but neither is it wrong to close on a Friday or Saturday for a different faith, or not at all if you have no religion, or a religion without a Sabbath.

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Originally Posted by Mattee
That's my concern as well. Also, I've experienced some hostility there to non-Christians. I don't mind having stores closed so people can spend more time with family; what I do mind is the idea that it needs to be one day across the board to accomodate Christians as if they're more important than others.

Originally Posted by Jazz
The signs on the HL stores in Houston state that they are closed on Sunday to allow their employees to worship.

My question is, does one have to be a Christian to work there? Jews' Sabbath day is Saturday. Some Muslims need to be off on Fridays. What do they do to accomodate them?
I would imagine that the person/people that own the stores choose the hours of their store. A freedom we have in the USA (Thank God). And if they choose to be closed on Sunday's to accommodate their beliefs, so be it. I also think that if a person states they have a certain religion that requires certain days or hours off, they have to be accommodated if at all reasonably possible. So, they would not work the times/days specified. (That is also a protection granted to them by the USA) That doesnt mean other people cant work or that the whole store needs to be closed.

I have a question about the comment on hostility towards non-christians. How would people in Hobby Lobby pick out the non-christians? Do christians wear signs? Just curious....
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 PM

[quote=n2stitches]I work for Hobby Lobby. It is a Christian based organization. This is why it is closed on Sunday and I am happy that it is. We are not a full fledged fabric store. This is why our selection is limited. We have good quality fabric, I believe. We used to get "send out" fabrics. These are fabrics that cannot be ordered. Our send out fabrics are generally seasonal. I have had no problems with any of Hobby Lobby fabrics and I have a TON of it.[/q

My DIL is manager of Hob Lob and GD is manager of the scrapbooking dept. I love their fabric and have never had a problem!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 PM

This wonderful forum is supposed to be about our mutual love of quilting. Really, I have felt this before and must say it now, let us keep to topic. That is the basis our mutuality.
Some folks feel that everyone should be happily exposed to their beliefs. In reality, this is the Quilting Board. Why cannot we keep it that? Let us please unite in our mutual passion and not bring in outside things that can drive a wedge. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Agreed... I gave no desire to tell anyone how to worship or what to believe. Not here on the forum or in my life in general. While I am sorry that anyone would experience negativity from a Christian... I do stand by my opinion that any business should be able to choose their hours of business... Regardless the reason. So ladies, let's just celebrate our joy of quilting and the awesome stores that feed our fabric habit!!! :-)
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 PM

I love HL. I like that they are Christian based; makes me want to shop there more. I found the neatest Thanksgiving platter at HL this year and it was on sale for about $9. Great store.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Jim

I love Hobby Lobby and I do buy lots of their fabric and other stuff too...I always take advantage of their sales and coupons...good thing I only go there once a month(45 miles away)...my wallet couldn't take it any sooner
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by sjscribe
I love Hobby Lobby!!!! I wish more retail places closed one day a week for their employees' spiritual and family health.

I also am pleased that I can find fabric with christian motifs.
Love their Christian themed fabrics. Whether I'm out of it or not, I always have to buy some gold "fish" on the light fabric. I use it to trim a lot or in small piecing. I can add a little bit of my life without being "too" obvious.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 PM

I love Hobby Lobby, not just for fabric, but lots of other things. Just wish there was one in Southern California. I can only go when I visit my daughter in Arizona.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 PM

As a US/Aussie lady - who work & lives in Australia (not for long now though, yippee) I found out about Hobby Lobby a few years ago in Buffalo, & blimey I was trilled to bits. The staff are ever so helpful & as for me being a Christian - well I do go along with "No work on Sunday".....& the economy would not suffer no matter what.

There are other ways & means that the economy would pick up & not by other stores opening on Sundays - one way is to source out products actually made in the US & thats what I do - both in OZ (Australia) & the US....you'd be surprised what I have found (& not online) that is made in both the US & OZ.....& that keeps people employed, who then have money power that gets spread around.....

Cheerio, Jane (moggie the lone quilter)