Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks >

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

Old 07-01-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
My mom is coming Sat for a small cookout...she is a neat freak. Me? I like a clean home but not sterilized! She will have a cow when she sees this! LOL! Of course I really should get over that I am 55!
Don't take your mom up to your sewing room - easy solution!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 AM

I hope that you're recovery well, but as far as being ashamed of how "messy" your sewing room is, I don't think you should be concerned. I've seen MUCH WORSE, including mine, even when I clean and organize, which I actually just finished doing, it doesn't stay that way very long, maybe 10 minutes. LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 AM

It looks like you have open wall space to the left you could utilize for shelves, or stack your totes and put a decorative screen in front or turn the screen into a moveable design wall. Get your totes organized by color or what ever works for you, do a bookpurge-pass on what you are no longer interested in, spools of thread up on wall, etc. Hit Goodwill or local thrift stores for shelving and repaint them. A little bit at a time and it will be done!! Good luck!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 AM

You sound like me. I panic every time my mom comes to visit. She is a true neat freak with no clutter. I have so much clutter...my clutter has clutter. If you find the cure...let me know.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Mine has looked much worse. Right now its not too bad. I love the dresden plate quilt. Did you make it to look antique or is it actually old, an old family piece?

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Marie M.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 AM

It looks like you have a lot of wall room. My sewing room has 2 walls full of shelves and it helps a lot. The lowest shelf is about 36" from the floor so there's room to put short bookshelves or those rolling drawered carts from Wal-Mart. I just re-arranged my room to make room for my MegaQuilter on a Gidget 2 table. My Viking #1 is in a cabinet and I have a full size cutting table and there's still room to move around. Granted, the room is bigger, about 12 x 13 but you'd be amazed how much room you'd have if you get stuff off the floor and neatly fold your fabric on shelves. Affordable shelves and brackets are at Home Depot. Good luck - hope this idea helps. Sorry I'm too far to help. Marlene
Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Heres something that worked for me, no idea if it will do anything for you or not. I learned to take pleasure in teh act of "taking care of my things." I used to be a slob and felt like I was "wasting my time" cleaning or picking up. Then I was really happy when things were nice.

So I learned to appreciate the pleasure that can come with taking care of my nice things that I am so lucky to have. I can appreciate the colors of my fiestaware and my sparkly white sink as I am cleaning the kitchen, or take pleasure thinking about the way my garden will give me awesome tomatoes when I weed, or enjoy running my hands over the wonderful fabrics I have in my sewing room as I tidy up. Sounds hokey I know but it was a mindset change. I am a very lucky person to have all I have in life. Taking care of those things isn't a burden (ok, most of the time its not a burden).
Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Well said!! It's the attitude of gratitude that brings joy and thankfulness to even the smallest of tasks.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 AM
lue

First of all, just concentrate on feeling better and don't worry about the room.

If mom is a neat person, ask her to help you when she comes this weekend. I'd suggest asking a friend as well--someone who can do the stooping and bending (doesn't sound like THAT would be fun for YOU right now).

I'd see what I could do without buying ANYTHING first. Most of us have what we need if we simply repurpose it. For example, TV trays can become tables, bricks and boards can become shelving, etc.

And I too have learned to appreciate what I have and treat my things as though they are appreciated. So organizing my sewing room came with appreciation and went easier. Before that, my craft room would have made yours look like The Hilton!

I used big plastic bags that bedspreads had come in (before I started quilting again) to store and label "Fat quarters and strips," "African prints," "Asian prints," etc.

But above all, GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK! You're doing just fine and it's YOUR room! I always say if things aren't perfect at my house when people come over and they don't like it, they can always go home where things ARE perfect.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
My mom is coming Sat for a small cookout...she is a neat freak. Me? I like a clean home but not sterilized! She will have a cow when she sees this! LOL! Of course I really should get over that I am 55!
STOP that right now! It is YOUR home, YOUR interest, etc. And you're not up to "cleaning" right now. Close the door and don't invite anyone in until it's like you want it. Take time to heal, and then take time to work on one section at a time. I am NOT a neat freak (although I would like things better than they are now.) But I do function in that setting as well as I can. I can't make a BIG BLOWOUT CLEANUP so I take it a little at a time. For instance yesterday, I reorganized threads. I sorted serger cones, quilting threads, and regular thread -- large spools and small spools and stored them in clear storage containers. When I was done with that I was spent for the day because I had other things going as well. And that's how I do it. It's the best I can do.