Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bridal & Baby shower gifts >

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 AM

tell them you don't have a pattern to sew that
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM

So what do they do during the shower? Sit & read ea. card & how much you pd. for it?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Yes , but the couple flew from Montana to Texas and had the wedding here in Texas. Getting gifts home would have been impossible flying. So they requested gift cards and provided a nice list of stores local to both areas.
this makes sense. my daughters brother in law was raised here. we are close with him and the family. At her baby shower, thrown by sister in laws here, the sil's suggessted gift cards. because the kids drove in from several states away and had to have room in the car for a return trip gc made sense. I included one with the quilt. it was a fairly small, mostly family shower of 2 people. the kids stayed for a week and everyone had a great visit. so, I spose different situations make different solutions acceptable
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I've been invited to one like that. Both were older (mid-30's) and had lived on their own since college and had nice things. She already had every kitchen gadget known. They asked for gift cards to Home Depot, as they'd bought an old fixer-upper house. I actually thought it was a great idea, for them. I think cards are sometimes a good idea, especially when you don't know the couples all that well.
IMO this one of the few times that I feel the request for gift cards is appropriate. However, I think it is tacky to request GC for showers generally.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by bj
I've been invited to one like that. Both were older (mid-30's) and had lived on their own since college and had nice things. She already had every kitchen gadget known. They asked for gift cards to Home Depot, as they'd bought an old fixer-upper house. I actually thought it was a great idea, for them. I think cards are sometimes a good idea, especially when you don't know the couples all that well.
Gift card would be very appropriate & appreciated in a case like this where the couple already has everything they need. Fixer-uppers are expensive so a GC would be very useful.
I agree -- personally, it would be a relief to not have to make the shopping tripS trying to figure out what to buy that won't break you, hoping it'll be something they'll like and use, because it seems the less-expensive items on their registration lists are already bought, etc. etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Never heard of this before. Even though people are registered I usually end up giving what I want, a baby quilt, wallhanging, etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 AM

I'm confused, must have missed something. How did you know who flew from where to where? Are you related to or know the original poster? 'Cause if that's the case it does make a little more sense.
Originally Posted by crochetetc
Yes , but the couple flew from Montana to Texas and had the wedding here in Texas. Getting gifts home would have been impossible flying. So they requested gift cards and provided a nice list of stores local to both areas.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Sorry...I would not attend any shower where I was directed as to what to give.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Why not send a "gift card" from you, for a personal gift of a quilt or whatever you want to make for her. She can redeem it (or not).... I think gifts are just that~~ Gifts. The other is like asking for a "free will donation" of a specific amount. Sort of tacky in my opinion. I may be old and grouchy about this, but at my age, I do not allow others to dictate to me what I can give (or not)... Let your inner voice be your guide. Be happy. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM

Yes, I do believe it's in poor taste to delegate what is desired like the gift cards, I am guilty of it, too. In our DD's case, she was living in Oregon, came home to get married and then would pack up her household to move to Colorado. Therefore, when I sent out the invitations for the Bridal Shower, it was my suggestion to request gift cards for the bridal shower with a suggested list of chain stores available in the town of Colorado. It was so much simpler for the bride as well as the out-of-state guests who were also invited to the bridal shower here. But normally, as an invited guest to Bridal or Baby showers, I will look at the registry and if I don't see anything within my budget or liking, then I will choose my own gift; purchased or homemade.