Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take photos of your work? >

Do you take photos of your work?

Do you take photos of your work?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 AM

I do now but didn’t before joining QB. Well I have some pictures but not all and never documented any of them. Now I take pictures in progress and make notes as I go. I wish I had done this from quilt #1. Live and learn. :D
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 AM

I take pictures front and back and put into a small album with date made and who it was made for. Missed a few, but have most of them. It's in tertesting to look at and see how many I've made and how long I've been quilting. :D
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 AM

I take pictures front and back and put into a small album with date made and who it was made for. Missed a few, but have most of them. It's in tertesting to look at and see how many I've made and how long I've been quilting. :D
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM

I keep a 3-ring binder with pictures, information about the quilt (inspiration for the quilt, pattern, who it was given to, etc) and am now trying to include small 1" squares of the fabrics used in the quilt. Some of my earliest quilts got away without recording, but I am really trying to get them all now. I give away many of my quilts, and often get pictures back from the recipients with the quilt they received. I include those pictures in my album. I also have my quilts posted on Facebook in albums. I is really fun to look back at them all. Also provides inspiration to keep going, and keeps you from giving the same thing to the same person twice!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM

i do keep pictures of the quilts who received the quilt , date , why , etc. i find it helpful as i get older :oops:
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
yes, i do and not only of the finished work but at various steps along with way.

it helps me with design prospective - most of the time i'm working inches from a project and taking a photo from a couple feet away makes a big difference on how you see things.
I agree with this totally, I had a mistake in a quilt that was on the design wall and didn't realize it until I looked at the pics that I had taken for my records.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM

I learned that photos are really important to keep track of your accomplishments. My sister-in-law was a marvelous quilter and upon her death, my brother and I wanted to decorate the church with her works. Well, we had some quilts that she used in their home and knew who to contact for others, but we had no record of the body of her work. We know there were many, many more. It was so important to her family to see the quilts that she had done. This also introduced others who did not know that she quilter to this special part of her life.

When I began using her stash, I began documenting all finished works. Just a photo, finished date and to whom it was given. Some quilts are just practice pieces but they will be donated. Others are gifts made for a specific individual for a special occasion. I enjoy returning to my photos to see how much my skills have changed and how much more "daring" I have become over time.

Keep a record of some kind, if not for you, for those who will come after you.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM

I put all the pics in a file in my computer labeled "My Quilts." I include the completion date and to whom it was given
Old 08-21-2011, 09:02 AM

I do now. I have a few that Ido not have pictures for but since I have retired and have more time I do. I take a picture and then it's on the computer. I also have them on a flash drive that I can take with me to town and print pictures of them. I put the pictures in a journal along with small pieces of the fabric used the name of pattern and how it was quilted. And who I made it for.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Mostly take a pic and put on computer and save to a flash drive that I have for quilting, mine and patterns I want to try.

Some I have forgotten and don't have pics or remember who got them.

I even take pics of the "game blankets" I make for the grandkids to take to ball games, beach, picnics. They are to be used and abused. Not a quilt but a couple of sheets, flannel or cotton with a mattress cover as batting and tied.