Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 AM

My heart goes out to you. In Louisiana we have endured many a storm and they are not fun. For Gustav 3 years ago we were without electricity for 13 days and phone and internet for 23 days. Our biggest problem besides the storm and lack of conveniences is the heat. It is so hot down here after one of these storms. Stay safe. Leave if you must or hunker down in a safe place. God bless and good luck. I hope you have no harm to your family and your property.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 AM

I know just what you mean about getting ready for a hurricane we were without lights for 2 wks had to use lots of ice ,you see I live next a hotel and I had a tenant that worked there all the tenants pooled food and whatever resources we had one tenant still had gas so we used their stove to cook. than we had a block party with all the neighbours and cooked on BBQ's it was fun ,but, than there was the clean up every one pitched in helping each neighbour until all was aright. As you may or may not know we are in the middle of tha atlantic vunerable to the elements, but, we survived the damsge was in the billion our island is only 22sq miles .
Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Katia
Anyway, what you want to do is right now, before the hurricane, is to put lots of things like milk cartons, etc full of water into the freezer to freeze. Then take all the food in your freezer and put it in plastic bags, maybe big ziplocks or whatever. Then take all the bagged food and put it all together in heavy duty garbage bags. It may take several if you have an upright freezer, or a lot of stuff. You might even double bag it if it seems heavy.
If the house is still here when we come back and it looks like the power will be out, my plan is to pressure can everything - meat, poultry, everything.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 AM

P.PS forgot to mention leave one side a little open to let the presure out of the house that in on the leeward side opposite side the stom\rm is coming from.
Will keep you in my prayers GOD BLESS.lol.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 AM

P.PS forgot to mention leave one side a little open to let the presure out of the house that in on the leeward side opposite side the stom\rm is coming from.
Will keep you in my prayers GOD BLESS.lol. from BERMUDA
Old 08-26-2011, 04:34 AM

My prayers are going out to all you folks on the East coast. Be prepared, but hopefully the storm will veer some and all the preparedness won't be needed.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 AM

My brother can't leave because of his job so I am staying too. I can't drive too far by myself and even if I need to go to a shelter I can't since they won't let animals in and my Andy isn't going anywhere so neither am I. We are as ready as we are going to be for this mess. We will have water in the tubs, We have filters that can filter sewage to drinkable water, we have food and the dog has food . I have meds. We have soup and I am cooking food today and tomorrow. We have a grill with propane and plenty of flashlights and candles. I have books and a quilt that needs hand quilting. I am going to fill some small grocery bags with ice from the ice maker. If we are without power for more than a day or two I will just make a trip to GA and stay with friends until everything works out. :-) Other than that not a whole lot I can do about a hurricane. Except keep visualizing it going out and away from the coast. LOL Good luck to everyone in the path I sure hope it isn't bad.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 AM

I saw where one guy filled is bathtub w/ water to pour down his toilet to flush it. Maybe you already do this, just a thought. Since I live in Kansas, I have no clue what you all are facing right now. Praying that Irene will go way East, back into the ocean and spare the millions of people it could affect. Good luck and God's Blessings
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 AM

My thoughts are with all of you. I sat through hurricane Alan when I lived in TX many years ago. Never again. Be safe everyone.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 AM

stay safe you guys and i will be keeping you in my prayers. hopefully makes a turn and goes out to sea