Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new - good iron - any recommendations? >

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eisgoow
Rowenta is a great iron !!! I have had many and it is the best, by far. USE DISTILLED WATER.
I have a Rowenta ProMaster that I love. The steam is amazing! Do you use the distilled water even when it says not to do so? Does that cause any problems?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 AM

I have Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer and had it for 4 years and love it. Never had any other iron that came close to its ironing, and that includes the traditional Roventa, which I also have. If you also do a lot of clothing sewing, it can't be beat. Well worth the cost.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 AM

I too have a Shark. I love the way it irons but hate the shut off feature. It shuts off too soon! I purchased a Sunbeam at WM and it stayed on for 15 min but you couldn't see how much water you put in and it kept catching the corner of the blocks I was pressing and I ended up pressing in wrinkles. It is in the box ready to return to WM and I'm back to using my Shark
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by boneyard
Don't get a rowenda . Mine started leaking and not working right . They didn't replace it and I'm still waiting for a call from them . I called about a mouth ago and told them the problem. So I would not buy another products from them. By the way this is the second irons that I had problems with
I have heard that Rowenta's are hit or miss irons. Either they work great or they are really bad. I have a great one right now, but know that when I replace it, I may get a bad one. Mine has auto shut-off, but heats up very quickly, so I don't mind that feature. It actually comes in handy when hubby needs me "for a minute", which turns into a half hour.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 AM

Go to Walmart and buy the cheapest one you can find. I paid less than $10.00 and I love the iron. Best thing -when it starts messing up, toss it and get another. That's what I have had to do with the more expensive ones anyway.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by kkdolls
I have an Oliso Smart Iron and I absolutely love it. I have had it about 6 months and use it a great deal. It has never spit water and is wonderful to use on my quilts. Highly recommend it.
Kudos for this iron - I love it too..
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I had an Oliso for 2 years and it just went belly up on me. I am so disappointed. I loved that iron. I went and spent $120 and bought an iron at a quilt store. The brand is called Reliable. Ever hear of it? It's heavier than my other ones, which I like because the weight actually helps flatten my fabric, and the steam is wonderful. So far, this one is great, unless it dies before 2 years. I think we quilters do go thru irons fast because we iron soooo much. I iron constantly.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I have 2 cheap irons, both at least 10-15 yrs. old...still work great and only use distilled water!
why use distilled water? I'm seeing this on several posts but don't understand the difference if the iron doesn't specify to use it. Thanks!
You have to read your iron's instructions. My iron specifically said not to use distilled water--it said to use spring water without minerals. Some irons do say to use distilled water--just read the instructions and you should be fine ;)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl222
I have Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer and had it for 4 years and love it. Never had any other iron that came close to its ironing, and that includes the traditional Roventa, which I also have. If you also do a lot of clothing sewing, it can't be beat. Well worth the cost.
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Now, don't laugh too hard at my iron story. I have an older Rowenta (16+ years) and was using it the other day to iron some fabric. Well, I got up to do something and unplugged it and walked away. Came back to said iron, plugged it in and the danged thing wouldn't heat. Now, I was sad cuz I love this iron and I hate shopping for a new one. Well, I kept fussing and trying to fix it but ot no avail. Finally, I gave up the ghost and went to unplug it. It was already unplugged! I had plugged in the fan not the iron and yes the iron still works. My Rowenta was made in Germany and almost always use it dry and spritz the starch or water or whatever onto the fabric or clothing. Doing the happy dance cuz I don't have to replace my iron. That being said, if I had to replace it, I would hit thrift stores first to look for oldie but goody and then blow the budget on a $10 iron from a box store.