Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Ditto!!! Feathers have their place and they're VERY fast to quilt, but I like to look at the quilt and let it speak to me. :)
I agree with the members who think that feathering is over done. Also, I am not a fan of 'too heavy' quilting, making for a stiff quilt. My daughter is a LAQ and she also lets the pattern and the fabrics speak to her. Her customers are very satisfied.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by slovard01
I posted some pictures of my Owl quilt where I used some of Leah Day's designs. It is a practice quilt I made earlier this year using some old blocks I found in my stash. I just made the designs larger to suit my tastes.
Pretty Quilt! Isn't it nice that we can all have our own style and our own preferences with all of the possibilities out there!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 PM
k3n
Power Poster

I think the quilting should be sympathetic to the top. On my own quilts, I often plan the quilting in the beginning, at the design stage. Obviously a pro LAer can't do that. Some LAers are skilled at reading a top and quilting it sympathetically, others not as much. I prefer custom ALWAYS to panto/computer, I like to see the 'human' hand at work. But there are LAers who use panto or computerised designs sympathetically across the quilt. The real horror for me comes from seeing edge to edge panto/computerised slapped right over a beautifully pieced top paying no regard to the pattern of the piecing. This to me is a crime against quilting and I can spot one across a show at 200 yards. Though I suppose for a quick finish on a utility quilt... but even them, I'd rather see a freehand allover meander but that's my own taste...

As for feathers specifically, I never met one I didn't like. There are so many different types of feather - hooky, curly, bubble spine, echoed, pointy, blousy, roundy, open peacock style etc etc... I've used them on traditional designs and on contemporary designs. At the recommendation of Ferret (multi award-winning freehand English LAer - and who would argue with her? certainly not me!) I used a half feather in my Spectrum Triangle quilt, and that is definitely not a traditional quilt! The effect is to balance the point of the coloured triangle and the lobes of the feathers achieve that. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-140081-1.htm

They're popular because they work with so many piecing patterns. BUT I do agree that many seem to progress from meander to feathers then get stuck there. That's why ppl like Leah Day are such an inspiration. And her designs are so adaptable if like the poster above you look at them with your own creative eye and apply them to your own work. :-D
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

i love feathers and on my own quilts, I leave space for them. But if I had your quilt, I would make sure that your work showed first and then when someone got up to it close they would first spot the quilting. The exception is something like the Rose Quilt, I post this week. It had big open areas, it was a wedding quilt and the owner wanted something besides meandering. Her design was strong enough to stand up to the feathers and the feathers were used to compliment her design.

Feathers for feathers sake, no. Feathers to enhance a design, yes.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 AM

I agree, they are pretty but do not need to go on every quilt! I really like just basic meandering that holds the quilt sandwich together, and just gently enhances the quilts piecing. Especially for a quilt for a bed or a lap, too much quilting can make the quilt too 'uncuddly'!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 AM

The quilt in my avatar was my first quilt, a Civil War design with the Civil War Crossings fabric. When I took it to the quilter I ask her what design she suggested and she said Baptist Fan. Welllllll, I had my own ideas and had her do feathers. I have regretted it many times that I didn't go with the Baptist Fan. Her work, the Statler anyway, did a great job, I just wished I had listened to her suggestion.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 AM

I love feathers!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 AM

I don't like dense quilting either. The quilt is stiff and it detracts from the piecing. A small amount of feathers
would work for me.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 AM

yes, yes, yes! less is best for me.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 AM

I don't do feathers. I quilt mostly kids quilts for charities,but if I wasn't I would still not do feathers!!!