Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Machine doing a Hand Sewing stitch look >
  • Sewing Machine doing a Hand Sewing stitch look

• Sewing Machine doing a Hand Sewing stitch look

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

To me, it's like those of us who have a longarm and others of us who would never pay that price for a machine. There's a market out there for all kinds of machines. I like the look of the stitch but can't afford it anyway. Same thing about the longarms. Something for all of us.
    Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM

I really thought I wanted one of these when I first saw the stitching (not that it was in my budget)but I changed my mind after seeing what the stitching on the back of the quilt looks like.
    Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 PM

The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 has a "hand quilted look" stitch. I have one of those and it is a neat machine. Haven't tried that stitch yet, but I plan to.
    Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM

This was the first I've seen of a machine that would do a stitch like this - would like to see it in real life the next time I get to a sewing machine shop...

I have gotten the chance to see this machine in person.The machines name sashiko, named after the Japanese embroidery technique. It is so cool. Can't remember the cost.
    Robin in TX
    Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM

This was the first I've seen of a machine that would do a stitch like this - would like to see it in real life the next time I get to a sewing machine shop...

I have gotten the chance to see this machine in person.The machines name Sashiko, named after the Japanese embroidery technique. It is so cool. Only has bobbin thread, no top stitch at all. The stitches were great. Can't remember the cost.
    Robin in TX
    Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewgray
    Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I can get the same effect using invisible thread on top, black in the bobbin and really tight tension. Gives a hand quilted effect.
    I think almost all the newer machines have some variation of this stitch. My Berninas are 10 and 11 years old and they both have it. I have a friend that bought that Sashico (sp?) and she has had a lot of trouble with it. And they're pricey for what they do. Think she paid around $1600.
    I have a Bernina also, I'm going to play with mine and see if I could find a stitch on it that does that.
    Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Pamela, my Viking has a hand look stitch also - but there are programming instructions on the web site for a couple of variations too. I personally like # 1 on the site - looks better than any hand stitch I would ever do!
    ********** ;) ************
    I've tried this on my Viking, it works fine, but the look on this machine ( at least in the video ) seemed much closer to real hand sewing - it always amazes me to see these different options. Thank you[/quote]
    Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 AM

all of my regular machine will do that but not the chain st on the back. You have to set it up to do it and you use the clear thread. So you see the thread then you have the clear ... I just do not like the clear thread so only tryed it,but this has a chain stitch on hte back ahhh not sure about. Would depend I might use on crafts and bags table runners etc but not a quilt, and if it is a chain st is it a locked chain or will it just ravel out if the thread is broken.. thanks for bringing this upppp have you seen it in person?
    Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 AM

I have a machine with that stitch too.
    Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 AM

machines have so much to offer compared to my grandmas treadle so many years ago :)