Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do buy quilt kits? >

Do buy quilt kits?

Do buy quilt kits?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 AM

For years I bought kits, telling my friends that one day the price of cotton would up. Well, now it has and the price of fabric is up. So I have about 15 kits in the closet.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by atbquilts
Kits! As the owner of a small quilt shop that specializes in kits, I have often wondered how quilters felt about the pricing etc. I would love to know the answer to this question...Would you rather buy a kit with just the amount of fabric needed (which of course keeps the price down) or would you rather pay a bit more (perhaps 10%)to have a pad for mistakes or a bonus for your stash? Any one have an opinion?
I enjoy buying kits for the quick to make project without having to decide on colors etc. I would not mine paying a tad more to make sure I have enough fabric to finish or for my stash. There is one shop I will not buy kits from anymore because they always seem short. Of course, most of my kits sit for awhile, so when I find they are short I am not able to get the fabric. :-(
Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM

I bought a kit from Fons & Porter on line. When it arrived, it had no pattern. I called their customer service and was told that I had to buy a certain magazine. I had bought kits from Nancy's and they had patterns. Customer service said that they would send me the pattern. They sent me the magazine. It seems the magazine has the pattern and you order the kit. The magazine cost 6.99. This would have added to the cost of the kit. I wonder if this happened to others.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM

If the pattern, fabrics, and price are right, I love the kits! I've got six waiting to be made that I bought on sale or at a good price when shop hopping.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 AM

My sister loves kits. I have only done a couple and prefer
choosing my own fabrics. The other thing with kits is that there is ususally only enough fabric to get it done and I like having a little extra for when I make mistakes (or at least knowing that there is a bolt of it in the store so I can get more)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Yes I sure do if 1) I like it, 2)it's on sale. I add and take away to sort of make it my own. Their great if you have limited space.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Yes, I sometimes do - especially in the beginning of this journey. And now I've just bought a McKenna Ryan kit in order to get all the fabrics in one shot!
Which one did you get. Her kits are beautiful!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM

I like the convenience of a kit--especially if it is a complex pattern. BUT I have also been burned. One kit, bought for my DGD's first big girl bed, was short nearly a meter in fabric and I had to redesign the pattern to compensate. I never got any reply when I emailed the company with my complaints.

Now, the first thing I do, is open the kit, measure all the pieces and compare that to the checklist, even if I am not going to make the quilt right away.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM

I have several because I was looking on Ebay way too much. Now I just need to get back to working on them. LOL
Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 AM

If I love the pattern AND the fabric, I definitely buy the kit.