Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband just doesnt understand >

My husband just doesnt understand

My husband just doesnt understand

Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
If you can, hire someone to finish the project and get on with your God given talent!!
YES!!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 AM

My husband is kind enough to work every day. I cannot due to an injury. If, in return for a beautiful sewing machine, fabric to dye, a little money for classes when we can etc, I am only asked to patch his jeans, that is a small, unselfish gift to give him in return.

As I learned in from the Nuns as a child, "have a servant's heart."
Besides, IMHO if Picasso was asked to paint his wife's living room, does that make the task degrading, or does it give him the opportunity to have fun with it and make it the best room ever painted.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Men look at things so differently! What's important to us may seem like a waste of time to them. In a previous post you said you loved him so much and didn't want to make him feel disrespected. If you hire someone to finish the addition for you it's not being disrespectful to him. Just explain that since your job requires sewing, and you need a more organized area, you've hired someone to finish it. Explain it in such a way that you're doing this for him so he can do other things he enjoys. I've found with my hubby if I make it look like I'm doing something for him, when really it's in my best interest, he walks away happy, I'm happy and no hurt feelings. I sew as a hobby and he's always complaining I lock myself away in the bedroom. He doesn't understand that's my way of destressing because I get to go into my own wonderful little world when that machine starts purring. Ever heard of the saying...If Mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy! LOL!! :-)
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Hi. I'm new here and haven't posted before. I understand you feeling exactly. My husband of 34 years and 5 kids later sees my sewing as a hobby. Men just don't understand the importance of sewing or how much us women can save by doing sewing. I kept all my kids in cloths when they were growing up, except jeans, and now I sew for a business. I do have a booth in a shop that I also sell out of but that is not working out to well. I am new to quilting myself. Grew up with my mom quilting and now that the kids are out of the house have decided to take it up.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 AM

Take 3 long deep breaths. . . let them out slowly; now that you are relaxed find that place in yourself that exudes confidence (such as the indomitable feeling of accomplishment that comes with the completion of a difficult task), put on your big girl panties and carve you out a niche either in your home or elsewhere and get on with the tasks that you enjoy and that profit you! Just remember, you can do ANYTHING when you put your mind and back into it!

GO GIRL!!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

wow !! so many replies and one would think if One sewed professionally;DH would be behind one as part of "their income". Plus an investment to the house,income and their life wants & needs.

After reading this I am thankful for my DH and his understanding of my needing a room and my sewing/quilting hobby. He helps me work on alot of items for the sewing room, to help make it better for organization.

Very True what KimS wrote about if Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy , I also agree that sewing/quilting is a way of destressing and just going off into another world ...

I would hire someone to finish the room and clean it up, make it the way you want it (explain this frees up his time to pursue his hobby and you are making an investment in your business and house), have a chair and a small tv in there if you so choose to have DH involved in the room.

Another question comes to mind: does he have a hobby room/area ?
Ours is big enough for both of us to share our hobbies, so either one or both of us can be in there and in our own little worlds.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 AM

Reminds me of a friend of mine who has been living without carpet for 10 years. She has a plywood floor in the living room. Her husband has a garage with a tv installed in it. Guess she will get the carpeting when it is time to sell the house.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 AM

Ten years is not too long it's soul destroying. Lots of people have given you some good advice. Take what you think you can manage and just do it one thing at a time. If you are depressed just set a small goal for each day. I do realize this is easier said than done. Have been down that road after major surgery
Make some plans, write them down. Goals that are written down are more likely to be achieved. I wish you well and don't forget you have a great number of friends on this board who will let you vent, offer heartfelt advice and send you love and encouragement. You go girl and keep us informed how well you are doing.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 AM

I think you are missing the point. He envies what you do and that you are giving your thoughts to something besides him. My husband appreciates what I do, but he also wants my time and attention, if you really think about it and reversed the situation you might come up with a solution. He married you not the sewing machine. Think about it and you will find a way.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 AM

This has to be the saddest thing I've heard in a looong time.And I commend you on your patience - I'd have put a boot in his rump 9 1/2 yrs ago----How close to Toledo Ohio are you ? I could use a working vacation.My DH use to say I could organize a rock pile