Acceptable or tacky?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Mad Mimm, Your post is filled with wisdom.

This would have bothered me for a very short time, I'd have given a thought or two to 'revenge', then decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I also think about an acquaintance of mine who moaned and groaned about the $1 gift her MIL gave her for the holidays or birthdays after scouring stores for weeks for just the right thing. She followed that up with the information that her MIL had been in a concentration camp during WWII. That explained her MIL behavior to me; she had learned a very hard lesson about survival and resources and could not forget it, not even for a minute. Sadly, it didn't help my acquaintance 'get' her MIL.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Yeah, it was tacky imho; kind of like my DH trying out the kids toys before they got wrap. I do hope though that you enjoy your book.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Yep! Definitely tacky. Just when I think people can't surprise me anymore I read something like this.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree, extremely tacky and so not cool. Though it doesn't excuse her behavior, don't let it ruin your holiday worrying about what she and her family did, just not worth it. If you don't wish to read a book read and handled by a number of people, donate it and go buy a new copy; otherwise read it an enjoy it.

If you ever draw her name you could always do unto her the same. Ask her if she likes it then tell you hope she doesn't mind but everyone in your family and the neighborhood read it first. Just had to be a little devilish. :-)

I personally will not participate in secret santa things at a place of employment any longer. One year at a former job I drew the name of someone I barely knew in our dept. Not knowing much about her but knowing she liked birds I found and bought her a beautiful handcrafted stained glass hummingbird suncatcher. When we went back to work after the party and after the exchange she approached me and gave it back with a "I don't like it!" I cannot tell you how flabbergasted I was. I think it is a bad practice for jobs to allow.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
In life, there some things worth making a fuss over and some things that are not worth the effort. In my opinion, this is one of the things that fall into the 'not worth the effort' category - but is fun to think about for a few minutes.
Yeah, any witty comments made when giving the book back will probably not even register.....just like reading the bookkeeping before lifting it as being tacky did not register!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Very tacky, especially with filling in the details. Some people don't think. I agree with Painiacs about white elephant gifts, but not new items and using them first. It's a good thing it wasn't something more personal like jewelry (she might wear it first if she liked it).
Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Just keep a look out int the future, if yu are ever blessed to get her name, then pay back can truely be served. Like giving her a ruler you bought and used or something along that line. But I like your idea also.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 PM

ok I have to jump in here and say maybe the lady and her family do not have a lot of money to spend on things like these.It does sound like it is tacky but no one knows their circumstances. Remember for many times are hitting them hard and they do not know how to handle it or their money at this present time.So please do not judge to harshly.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

i think its very tacky she never should have told you she and other people had read it sorry that happened to you. i belong to 2 groups we decided that this year we would not exchange gifts we gave money to one gal in the group her son is adopting 3 little boys . we felt like they could use it after all we have all we need as quilters
Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

very tacky she never should have told you what she did sorry that happened to you. i belong to 2 groups mostly same ladies in group we decided this year we wouldnt exchnage gift we gave money to one of the gals son he is adopting 3 boys from ovearseas we as quilters have so much