Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone >

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 AM

I send anything bigger than a twin to a pro. The stress of getting all that quilt sandwich through my regular machine just takes all the fun out of it. I consider it a gift to myself when I send one out to a pro.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 AM

Default cass

I have a Brother Quattro 6000D Sewing & Embroidery Machine & PE Design software, so on the last 6 lapsize quilts that I have made, I have used my software for the design and then used my embroidery hoops. So far they look good but haven't tried a overall pattern or a larger size quilt. Has anyone else
tried using this method?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Anything bigger than a baby crib quilt gets sent to a professional. I figure I spend all that time and money on making the top, it deserves to be the best looking quilt that I can provide!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM

I do my own on a quilt machine named Flo.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 AM

I quilt SID most of my quilts adding a few hearts, leafs or stars. here and there. I've tried free motion but have to work on it more. I recently SID a twin size quilt and it was tough going at times mostly because it was a log cabin with lots of seams that made the quilt quite heavy. Working on another twin right now, simple Irish Chain (9 patch with a plain square) so it's lighter and not so bulky. Got creative and decided to quilt on the diagonal, not so easy but almost finished.

I've sent a few quilts to be quilted by gal in my guild. She does excellent work and she doesn't charge members too much but I've found that there is a long turnaround time. She always asks when I want it for and I usually say a month or 4 weeks or so and she writes it down on my receipt. With the last 2 quilts I have had to call after 6 weeks or so to remind her. My problem is that when she asks when do I need the quilt by my real answer would be Yesterday! LOL. Plan to have a heart to heart with her and ask her if a month is too little time for her and that she should tell me when she feels she could have my quilt ready, I don't want to be ungrateful for her good prices. .

Last edited by May in Jersey; 01-09-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 AM

I FMQ using my sewing machine. I also have a long arm for personal use and for my friends to use. I do not provide LA services as a business. Since I only have my short frame up, if I do a large quilt top, I send it out.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 AM

I quilt all my own. Paying for someone to long-arm quilts is totally out of my budget, as is a long-arm of my own. I've done king and queen size on a domestic machine with 7" throat. I'm happy now to have a machine with a 9" throat. The real keys are a large table to rest the bulk on, and working in the same direction (center out, or left to right, etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM

good morning.
I stipple my own. I just drop the feed dogs and go to town. I love to stipple, I do stitch in the ditch sometimes. I always did that on my regular sewing machine. but now I bought a juki TL98Q. that machine is so cool.
But again my regular machine (singer) is what I always did mine on.
try stippling a place mat and see how you like it
best of luck to you.
Dawn
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

I rarely quilt my own quilts, just crib and small lap occasionally.
Janice Cutting, a LAQ in my SooNipi Guild, does all my machine work. She does fabulous work and never overquilts.
I have found a gal on the Board to whom I will send those quilts I want handquilted. She sent me pictures of her work - simply beautiful.
I rarely drink, I don't buy clothes, I don't travel, seldom eat out etc.
Quilt-related is my one extravagance (spelling?) and it's a big, expensive one.

Last edited by gollytwo; 01-09-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM

I send mine out because I haven't learned to fmq yet. I do know how to hand quilt but don't have good space for a king size quilt. I usually only make tops and then have them quilted when I need a finished quilt for a gift or own use. I don't have the storage space for a number of quilted quilts so storing the tops works for me.