Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite iron?

What is your favorite iron?

I need to get a new iron and there are lots of option! I see lots of negative feedback on Rowentas and Olisas, two of my top choices. HELP! What irons do you love?

Banned
    I hated my Rowenta - leaked
    I have about 6 irons: a little French on that I don't use - just admire, a cordless that doesn't get hot enough. A Black and Decker which I like and use the infrequent times I want steam. I hardly ever use steam.
    Thus, my 2 favorites are a no teflon, no steam from Vermont Country Store - it doesn't do anything other than iron and it's terrific; and an iron that belonged to my closest friend's Mom - from the 50s or 60s - no gadgets - great iron.

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta Pro that I bought over 5 years ago. It works great. Gets really hot, so I'm happy. I would love one of the dry irons as well from the Vermont country Store..

Frankly, I really like my Rowenta. This might initially sound like a bad review but it's not. I'm getting ready to buy my 3rd Rowenta. But this is in a 20 year period. I've never had an issue with leakage, etc. First one just got dropped too many times. Current one, the section of the cord under the 'protective' rubberized piece coming from the iron body is apparently breaking. I have to wiggle this area in order for the iron to stay working currently. I have the same issue on a EuroPro iron that I have as well (which I also like, BTW). So the issue seems to be me - not the irons. My personal belief on the leakage issue with Rowenta's has to do with water type/content. Some Rowenta's specify tap water; some distilled. They also need to be cleaned periodically. Now, I've never followed the directions with respect to cleaning frequency but I do with respect to water type. When I start getting flakes when using steam is when I clean them. The only time I've had leakage issues is when I've overfilled the iron.

I like the EuroPro as well but not so much more than the Rowenta that I would buy it again for the $$ involved. I'm just looking now for the best $$ on the highest wattage Rowenta I can find. I use my irons for not only quilting, but I'm one of those crazy people that iron clothes. When I was working I ironed my outfit each morning so my irons get a work out.

Good luck!

I have a Rowenta, dropped it to many times to count, it is now being held together at the base with electrical tape. I noticed that mine leaked water too, once I switched to distilled water i have not had that problem. I have noticed my Rowenta is not getting hot enough, may be due to the dropping it to many times. I too have been looking at irons so I will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Hi, My Rowenta leaks so just replaced it with the Continental Iron from Vermont Country Store per reviews from this board. I've had it almost a week and love it, it does a great job on pressing the seams. Nice and crisp. It's heavier than my Rowenta and the handle feels good to me. And it does not automatically turn off which can be a pain while sewing. lol!
    Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    -Henry Van Dyke

I have a GE from Walmart. I have had 3 Rowentas and loved them when they worked, but they just didn't last long enough. I have been told that if you get the ones made in Germany instead of China, they will last a long time. My little GE works really well and a friend was going to buy one like it, but they no longer carry it at Walmart.

Glad to see I'm not he only one that wears out irons. I use a Sunbeam tht is starting to die so I will definitely look into some of the brands listed here. I tend to go with cheap and that doesn't seem to last!

Rowenta Steam Generator. Love it!
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

I have a shark and love it. Stays hot. Does shut off automatically, but, just shake it and it comes back.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

My Rowenta is magificent...she's been with me several years. It irons, I just guide it, no effort on my part.
    Cottontop
    (Sally)

I have been sewing/quilting for 30 years and I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master Professional iron from WalMart. My friend had one and told me how much she loved it. I bought it and it is the best iron I have ever had. I bought it at WalMart and it only cost approx. $29. Love, love, love it!!
    Last edited by aborning; 12-08-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta and I am pleased with it. It does call for distilled water and I know if anyone is like me, they don't always use it in their iron. This is generally the reason the irons start leaking. I have dropped mine a couple of times (or it's been pulled off the ironing board by a beloved furbaby) and I cringe each time. But it fires right up with no leaks. I really wanted an Oliso but I just couldn't justify the cost.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have a dry iron I ordered from Vermont Country Store for about $30. It gets really hot, does not have auto-shutoff and has a solid stainless sole plate. I like it a lot but when I posted about it a few months back, there were both positive and negative reviews from other QB members. I think my post was entitled "Have you seen this iron?" if you want to look at the comments. I love this dry iron....no holes on the sole plate to catch little corners; no leaking or spitting; it stays on and stays hot. Downsides: it's made in China; have to remember to shut it off and unplug it. If I need steam, I just spray a little water on the fabric or on a pressing cloth.

I have had so many irons I could supply a shop. Anyway, I decided price is not to be considered. Features are what I focus on. I don't like the dial under the handle, so it has to be up-top. And I don't like too many steam holes because seam allowances get "stuck" in them when pressing. And, lastly, I prefer a lighter weight iron so my arm doesn't tire. Good luck.

I have two Rowenta's and love them both. One did start to leek but DH took it apart and found a crack in the seal. He put a dob of silicone in there and it has been working just fine for years. The other Rowenta I have never had any problems with at all. I have had both of these Iron's for about 9 years.

Have had expensive irons - hated every one of them, especially that darn auto-shut off - takes me more than 10 minutes between ironings! I bught two brand new old fashioned Black & Decker steam irons on eBay and love them (bought the one for a spare after I liked the first). They were less that $20 with shipping. And get HOT. And don't shut off until you want them to! And I do use steam.

Blog Entries
    My all time favorite iron is the:
    Conair DPP3000 1500 Watt Digital Steam Iron

It is a "crafters iron which you can disable the auto shut-off
    feature.
    The only BAD thing about the iron I do not like is it always
    "beeps"
    But I totally love the digital feature I have seen OTHER so-called
    digital irons and they are not like this one.

Sadly though they do not make the iron anymore. So now I
    "preserve" my iron by only using it for "special" sewing projects.

Here is the Amazon info about the iron (what little they list).

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-DPP3000.../dp/B00063QML2

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I have a Rowenta Pro that I bought over 5 years ago. It works great. Gets really hot, so I'm happy. I would love one of the dry irons as well from the Vermont country Store..
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    i love my little old $20 black & decker- it stays hot- does not weigh a ton- it has lasted much longer than any of the expensive ones i ve tried over the years.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I have to say I really like my Olisio.....my friend bought one 5 years ago and she just had to replace it about 5 months ago. I just bought one as well 5 months ago and I really do like it. Good luck deciding
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

After two top of the line Rowenta's , I had a hard time forking over another $100.00 for an iron. So I usedmy cheapy iron from walmart till I decided which iron .... and two years later the cheapy is still being used. In addition to not investing big $$ for another iron, my carpel tunnel has been much less severe. The weight of the top of the line irons and my pressing obession = really severe pain.
    I doubt I will make any big $$$ investing in an iron again. If I need more steam , I just lightly mist the fabric... same results.

Rowentas aren't bad you just need to make sure your are buying a germany made one, also some of their irons don't use distilled as it causes them to leak , right iron + right type of water= a good rowenta

I have had 2 Rowentas that didnt last long, maybe a year apiece. I got an Osilo in July. LOVE IT!!! worth the money. best Iron I have had.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

I've never had a problem with my Rowenta, even after it fell off the ironing board...twice.

I've had 2 Rowenta irons. They're good irons, but I now have a Oreck iron and really love it. My last Rowenta did leak and would overheat. I got my Oreck new in the box at a yard sale for $5. It is corded and cordless. I really do like it more than the Rowenta.
    Kathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast