Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Sunshine and Windmills >
  • Sunshine and Windmills

• Sunshine and Windmills

Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 AM

To me too! Have you tried the "twister" Rosyhf?
    Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt
    Looks like a little twister to me....and it looks lovely
    Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Sorry about the above post; afterwards I went through and read the entire thread and saw what you wrote about it. I have one of the twister tools which is wonderful but there is some waste. I want to try your method now; thanks!
    Does anyone know the size of the "tiniest" twister tool?

Last edited by Dar-midlife; 03-17-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

I am so glad that I inspired a few of you to do it. It really is relaxing to play with the patches. I haven't been able to work on my little one but do have a lot of patches cut and can't seem to stop cutting more patches lol...but that is because I want a lot that I can choose from. I am so looking forward to starting.

I cut for two hours the other day and my feet were hurting even tho I stood on a mat, I should have worn the tennis shoes....so I would recommend, sitting at a table and cutting if you plan to cut a lot. I am doing that today. I need more patches and I have huge pin of scraps lol.
    Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 AM

In another thread that I had started, I asked: What is the web quilting on lately and got lots of answers. I think the next craze is the wheel stuff. Like this twister, that I prefer to call a windmill. I checked out my Block Base and there are so many nice blocks in the wheels section. I hope everyone has Block Base, it is such a good program to have. I use mine over and over.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 03-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Thank you Rosy for all the info...I just love this site...Can learn so many new things about quilting.. Another pattern I am going to try...
    Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Default The little Windmills

Or small Twister. I cut some more small patches. It is so addictive. I can't stop cutting. Everytime I look in my scrap bin, I want to cut some of this and some of that. I decided to stop and start to create on the board and cut more as I need the colors.

I have these large plexiglass sheets that come in so handy. I put all the patches on one and took it over to the board and started to create. Later when it comes time to sew I can transfer a bunch to the same plex and take it over to the machine.

I am really excited about this little one. I will post when I get a bunch on the board. In the meantime here are some of the patches....I love my scrap bin.

Note: you need four patches of each fabric so you can flow from one twist to another. Now you can also have just two of a color for the outside of the design. I didn't count the patches. I just cut whatever the scrap allowed, so the extra ones will go at the top, bottom and sides, as you only need a half a twist on those.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc00001.jpg   dsc00002.jpg  
    Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Here is the little Twister on the design board. My feet are so tired. I cut 465 pieces and used 440 peice. The patches are 4.5 by 4.5 and will be 4 inches finished. There are 10 blocks in a row across by 11 rows down. The wall hanging will measure 40x44. I will just add a tiny 1 inch borde that will finish at 3/4 of an inch.

Now the sewing will begin and that will be a lot of sewing. I checked down both side and the top and bottom to make sure that all the half blades match. Then I checked all the blades in the quilt to make sure they all matched.

I started with putting up one block at a time for the row, but switched to to doing just one row at a time (half a block) as it went faster. I cut patches for three days at different times, just some at a time.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc00004.jpg   dsc00005.jpg   dsc00006.jpg   dsc00007.jpg   dsc00008.jpg  

Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

I like the way you used the colors to really show the complements in this piece. I have Marys' book and also want to do some studies from it. I like her work.
    peace

EDIT: I posted before I saw the whole thread and all I have to say now is Awesome.
    I love it!

Last edited by ube quilting; 03-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM

Thank you Ube, I am now sewing it together, oh my, what a job. I am on the sixth row. It is looking better and I like the small blades. I can't wait to finish it. Back to work lol.
    Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
    Sorry about the above post; afterwards I went through and read the entire thread and saw what you wrote about it. I have one of the twister tools which is wonderful but there is some waste. I want to try your method now; thanks!
    Does anyone know the size of the "tiniest" twister tool?
    I have the "Itty Bitty" Twister tool and the size is 1-1/2 square, line is 3/8ths from the corners and it says it finishes at 1 inch . Your square should be 2-1/2 inches. I think there is another one between this one and the 5 inch one, but I don't have it.