Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to make to sell at craft shows? >

What to make to sell at craft shows?

What to make to sell at craft shows?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 AM

This is a wonderful thread chalked full of ideas and tips. Thanks for starting it---I have bookmarked it for future reference.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

when i did craft shows i made rice or corn bags they always sold and needle cases
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by judys View Post
I'd suggest baby quilts and tote bags. You would have to get written permission from the pattern designers for these and in some cases from the fabric designers. Be sure to research the copyright issues before you sell any of your items. There have been some sticky situations lately.
The fabric copyright issue thing is dead. Those cases were thrown out of court. The pattern designers can still try to go after you....but listen, there are so many FREE patterns in the world, why would you take a chance of using a pattern you paid for to make items for sale in public? It's not all that hard to design something yourself, also. Give it a try....you have nothing to lose but a little fabric you wouldn't use for anything else!!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM

this is what i make and sell at craft shows and on consignment...quilts-all sizes, aprons-regular, bib, and clothespin, crocheted dishcloths, fabric wrapped clothesline bowls and baskets, pioneer sunbonnets, prairie pockets, homemade soaps, fabric covered notebooks, quilted cats, bunnies and "lovebirds", table runners, framed quilted blocks, three sizes of casserole carriers.....everything i make is homemade, handmade, and from usa cotton....prices are low on most everything except the quilts. everything is original in design also. it is alot of work but i have found that people are attracted to the small and low priced item but then generally buy lots of them for gifts and holidays. i stay away from specific holiday items unless i just carry a few. another piece of advise is to make items that people can use! good luck!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM

I recently attended a little craft fair in a 55 plus community that was only open to people who lived there. There were probably about 15 vendors ($5.00 for their space + their time setting it up with tables for a potluck luncheon). I bought some pretty beaded earrings, three necklaces that were so clever - crocheted with a single chain in interesting yarn and gathered and tied at the back of the neck and some shell shadowboxes that I just loved. The prices were very reasonable. It was lowkey and a lot of fun. One woman said, "I do this to be able to buy more materials to make more." Obviously, not a pay your bills kind of affair but it was fun and I saw a lot of talent in the room.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 PM
QKO

In our web store, we sell a lot of soft book panels and crib panels to crafters who then make them up to sell at craft fairs.

The copyright issue is a non-issue. Even though these panels are marked for individual consumption, the notices are to keep large-scale manufacturers from buying these fabrics at wholesale and making thousands of them. The individual crafter who buys the fabric at retail and sells the finished item is in no danger of being pursued on any legal issues.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Lap size quilts (only a few though, mostly as samples)...the things that I found sold the most where smaller/less expensive items. Little hand puppets made from fake fur and had embroidered features; Feed Sack dish towels (we bought some, but mostly used 100% cotton muslin to make them from)..hand embroidered (can be machine embroidered in a redwork type stitch). Potholders, quilted casserole dish covers (lots of free patterns online), Quilted lunch bags with a velcro closing...we used a paper lunch bag to get the pattern. Crocheted ornaments, baked goods always went well, especially those made sugar free and sold by the square/slice. Remember to check the local laws on what you can legally sell. Raffles are usually taboo... you may need a special permit, etc.
We sold out of quilted aprons...used orphan blocks, quilted as the "bib" part of the aprons, and plain as the pockets...just lined with fabric the apron was made of.

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
I am suddenly finding myself retired, and trying to decide what to do with my time. One of my ideas (I have lots) is to make some kind of quilted items to sell at craft show.

What have you made to sell that sell well and make the best money for the time it takes to make? I am thinking that bed sized quilts take so much time to make compared to the amount of time they take to make! What sells well? Purses? Wall hangings? Pot holders? What other ideas have you made to sell that sell well?

Are there any other considerations for selling items at craft shows?

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM

I have a friend that puts her items on consignment in a couple high-end gift shops and beauty salons....etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM

I also used to do craft shows, but now I just sell to a few shops. I set the prices and one shop pays me as soon as I deliver, another pays me as items sell. I try to keep my prices low and my items original.I mostly make pillows and sachets and I love to make things out of vintage fabrics, old blankets, cutter quilts, vintage buttons....etc.... items I pick up at flea markets. This also makes it a little bit harder for others to copy your items. I have also found that sayings and catchy tags really help sell your items! Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Barbie doll clothes.