Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting? >
  • What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting?

• What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM

I have a long arm quilting business. And yes it would be nice to pay her for her efforts as these are beautiful. I charge 2 cents a square inch. (That's length times weight times .02 and then the total) I would add up all the charges then divided the amount and sent that to her with a small gift. Yes, life does get in the way of our business, however having the tops to be quilted was way to long.
    Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM

I think the suggestions are excellent, but I think you have to realize that busy or not, she should have acknowledged what was happening with your quilts. My concern would have been that they were lost or somehow destroyed. That being said, I'm sure she means well but would accept some compensation for her beautiful work.
    Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM

If it was me, I'd send her a gift card for a quilt shop in her area. I wouldn't feel right accepting that she wouldn't take anything for her beautiful work, even if it did take a long time.
    Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM

I would charge $188.00 for the blocks and $88.00 for the second one. That is georgous custom quilting. If that helps you, when we longarmers can' t complete on time we either discount or do a no charge because we value your business and want you to come back to us.
    Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM

In answer to your specific question... Take width times length to get the square inches of the $200.00 quilt. Divide 200 by that calculated number and you will have the amount per inch she originally intended to charge you. If you feel the quilting on the other was equal in quality and density use the same pricing. Deduct late fee from there and include a note to say how much you like the quilting.
    Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 AM

As a busy longarmer, it's not unusual to be backed up for months. I had to quit taking new customers just to get them done in 4 months. A year is not bad for custom, beautiful work. She spent a lot of time doing those and .015 cents per square inch would be very reasonable.
    Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 AM

$200 for quilting that size quilt is robbery. I would send her a nice size gift card to a restaurant and call it even. She was giving them to settle her heart. Take the nice gift you were given and either pay it forward or get the gift card.
    Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    I appreciate everyone's input. My first impulse was to send her a check for $300... but I didn't know what the quilting was actually worth. I didn't want to send her more than she would have billed me.

I mailed her a check for $300 this morning with a note that said "The quilting did turn out wonderful. Thank you for doing this for me." I didn't mention her offer of "No Charge." Have I paid her more than she would have billed? Maybe... but I won't go broke either way. I'll let you know if she deposits my check.
    She called me today to acknowledge the check and to ask if I liked the quilting. She said $300 was a good price for her work, and she wanted me to give her more quilts in the future. Alls well that ends well...