Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting?

What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting?

Long story short... I made two quilts that I really loved, but I didn't know how to quilt them. I found a long-arm quilter that does beautiful work. I pretty much left it up to her how to quilt it because I had no clue. My only request was that I wanted the blocks to stand out from the background on the first one (first two pictures). She said that she would "try" to keep the cost below $200. We never discussed the price on the second one (third and fourth pictures).

That was last June, and she told me not to expect them back until December. The only correspondence that I received from her was in November saying that she would start my beautiful quilt soon. After 11 months I received the quilts in the mail with this note:

"...Your quilts are finished & I think turned out wonderful. Because I have had them so long there w/be NO charge for the quilting - I was so busy this past year that I didn't know whether I was coming or going - and they got put on the back burner - My apologies for the delay..."

No way will I let her give me the custom quilting for "NO charge." The first one is 55 inches x 76 inches, and the second one is 47 inches square. What do you think is a fair price to pay her?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have no idea, but she did some beautiful work.... I hope the others that do LAing will pipe in and let you know.

Beautiful quilts and quilting!! I would pay what you agreed on, or in the ball park, minus 10-20% for the lateness. Now, how to get her to accept the money? If you send a check she may not cash it. Paypal she may not pick up.
    I take it she is not local, near you? Maybe you could suggest making a contribution to her favorite charity.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Beautiful quilts and quilting!! I would pay what you agreed on, or in the ball park, minus 10-20% for the lateness. Now, how to get her to accept the money? If you send a check she may not cash it. Paypal she may not pick up.
    I take it she is not local, near you? Maybe you could suggest making a contribution to her favorite charity.
    I agree, a small deduction from the original quoted price would not be out of order. If she won't accept the money, she might accept a gift card to a shop she frequents for quilting supplies, or as PT mentioned - just make a donation to a charity and ask the charity if they have "gift cards" for donations (many do).

It was wonderful work and deserves to be compensated!

Very nice quilts - would love to see more of the lone star (hint hint!)

Sue
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I think I would send her at least the $200.00 & tell her that it is a donation for her work. It was really nice of her to not charge for being so late getting them back to you. I have known a few that have kept quilts that long & still charged the regular price for quilting them. Beautiful quilts by the way.

I'm a longarmer and if I'm late getting your quilt to you I deduct 5% for every month I'm late and a 10% discount on the next quilt I do for you. By the way I am not usually late unless I get sick or my machine goes down. Then I call and let them know what is going on.
    Your quilts and the quilting is lovely.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    If she said no cost then honor her wishes. She knows how she feels about it. My favorite thank you gifts to send are gift baskets from Wolferman's. http://www.wolfermans.com
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    They are fabulous. ptquilts has a good idea to follow. The quilting is extraordinary as are the quilts.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Full Pictures

Here are pictures of the quilt tops before the long-armer quilted them.

The first one I made while taking a Karen Combs "More Patchwork Illusions" class.

The second one was my class project from a Marsha McCloskey workshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the idea of a gift box/bag/tower/etc. That way you acknowledge the beautiful work and don't have to do what she asked you not to.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

She did an amazing job on your gorgeous quilts. Good luck. She deserves something that is for sure.
    Jean

Beautiful job on the quilts. I think a donation to her favorite charity or a gift card is a fabulous idea.
    Heather

I think it would be nice to just pay her what you had agreed on, minus a bit...maybe the 5% per month that was mentioned before. I would send a check, and if she didn't cash it, at least you tried.

Dina

Blog Entries
    I would offer her the money minus a modest deduction for the work taking her so long. She's made a very magnanimous gesture but I can't imagine that she would want to do that beautiful quilting for free. There aren't too many of us that couldn't use some extra money.

Blog Entries
    I would send her the money minus a percentage. And a note telling her you appreciate her thoughtfulness, BUT it is beautiful work and you do owe her. She probably sews for a living and I would think she would take the money. You might want her to do more for you some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I think it would be nice to just pay her what you had agreed on, minus a bit...maybe the 5% per month that was mentioned before. I would send a check, and if she didn't cash it, at least you tried.

Dina
    I don't think y'all understand my question. I intend to send her a check for the quilting.

The only thing said about money is that she would "try" to keep the first quilt cost to under $200. We never discussed a price on the second quilt. I do not have an agreed-upon price to base a discount on.

What do you think a fair price would be for these quilts based upon your experience with what long-arm quilters charge?

Based on a $200 charge for the first quilt, she'd be charging about 5 cents per square inch (I hope my math is correct!). At that price point, the second one would be about $110. Hope that gives you something to go on.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the gift card or basket idea

Blog Entries
    I would pay her the agreed price less 10 percent. I know what it's like when life gets in the way of our craft. But she did do the work, and it's beautiful. I think she's being very gracious to suggest no payment, but she did put in the time when she got to it. IMHO
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Your quilts, and her quilting are beautiful. Not sure what you should do but her work is beautiful and she really should be compensated. I think you are a really wonderful person for feeling this also.

I would send the check for the anticiapted amounts for the quilting. ( Estimate based on a square inch basis) . But I would also send a note that you appreciate the offer , but hope she accepts your check for any supplies , thread , batting, backings etc for use in donation quilts. That way she does not feel that you are refusing her gift ( generous) ... and you can free like you have contributed .

You are right, I didn't understand that you meant to send her a check anyway. I have never used a long arm quilter, so I can't offer any real advice on price. I admire you for wanting to send her a check, and one of the other answers here gave a price per inch that will help you, I think.

Dina

Beautiful quilts and quilting. I agree with the idea of reimbursing her for the beautiful job. I liked the formula for price per inch, 110 plus the 200 and round it to $300.00. Send it with a nice card of appreciation like someone suggested bc it was such beautiful work and her time. Many times we do work and say"no charge" for a reason only we know; but in our minds we are hoping they still offer to give something. So I applaud you for doing this for her. Teresa

As a longarmer, we some times get backed up with tops to be quilted. This longarmer got overwhelmed & took on more work than she could handle. To compensate, she offered a "no charge". To send her $300 for the 2 quilts would be reasonable for the work she did & the delay in getting them done. The note of appreciation would be a nice touch as well. Some longarmers are in such demand that a delay is inevitable, but 11 months? I couldn't ever do that to a customer! A delay of @ 2 months, I can see, but this delay was way too long!

Stampinteresa you are correct in saying to send about $300. A nice card along with the money is warrented.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast