Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting?

Stunning piecing and stunning quilt work. I would pay her if I were you because she did a great job, it is custom and both of you are definitely artists.
    Anna Quilts

I suggest you send her the deducted price and mention to her that you could not possibly use her again unless she accepted the money.

The quilting is very nice. I would charge $0.05 /sq in for the first and $0.03 / sq in for the second. This comes to $209+66=$275. I have never missed a due date by anything like that, so I'm not sure how I would discount that, but for the quilting alone that would by how I priced it.
    Tom Baighman
    Oak Leaf Quilting
    Grove City OH
    www.oakleaf-quilting.com

Hi JennR8R, my husband and I are long armmers and we charge $0.03 for custom quilting which we charge by the square inch. If you take 55 and multiply it by 75, it equals $125.40 and then 47 multiply by 47, it equals $66.27 and when you add them together you get $191.67 so your $200 would be very close to what she would charge you. Now taking into consideration she kept them a year, I would say she should charge you half of the normal charge so if you sent her $100, it would be more than fair. The longest my husband and I have ever kept a quilt was a month. it was a very detailed custom with lots of cross hatch throughout. Your work is very is very nice and you should be proud of your creation.
    K & D Creations

As a Longarm quilter, I general charge 2.5 cents per square inch for custom work. Her work is beautiful, but I noticed that she did not do any "stitch in the ditch" work. So I would probably have charged 2.25 cents a square inch. A gift would probably be greatly appreciated, but a check would be received with humility and she would know that you appreciated her jesture and would come back to her for more quilting. I have been LAquiliting for 12 years and have given a couple of quilting jobs away myself. Your quilts are beautiful!
    Last edited by vivsqt; 05-08-2012 at 03:51 AM.

I am a professional longarm quilter and I am amazed at her generous offer, although after keeping them for nearly a year, I am sure she is embarrassed. I try to get mine back in no more than a week, two at the most...althgough there is another longarmer in town who makes people wait 8 or 9 months and charges them twice as much as everyone else who longarms...so who knows! I would pay her half of what she was asking, if it were me. Just my .02 worth. Michelle
    Michelle Guadarrama

I'd respect her not wanting payment, but would make her a gift basket with things for her to use/enjoy after a long day of quilting. For examples, lotion (our hands all get dry playing with fabric), chocolates, some comfy spa socks to relax in, a book to read (like Marie Bostwick's quilting books, or a book with some quilting designs to inspire her) and other fun stuff.

Since she did such a wonderful job I'd still send her the money even though she said no charge. It will be a testimony to her how great a job she does. Most LA quilters charge 2 cents per square inch. You could go that route and see which is the better price for you. Personally I totally respect great art done for folks and I feel they should be compensated a fair price no matter what the circumstances. At minimum I would send her at least $100 but knowing me and how I appreciate what I can't do myself and have someone that does do it I'd probably send her the $200.
    cparant

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    The quilting is very nice. I would charge $0.05 /sq in for the first and $0.03 / sq in for the second. This comes to $209+66=$275. I have never missed a due date by anything like that, so I'm not sure how I would discount that, but for the quilting alone that would by how I priced it.
    Tom Baighman
    Oak Leaf Quilting
    Grove City OH
    www.oakleaf-quilting.com
    This is the most helpful and reasonable reply I've read yet...including my own. ;-). And seems to be what you first asked for: a way of arriving at an amount to pay.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I appreciate everyone's input. My first impulse was to send her a check for $300... but I didn't know what the quilting was actually worth. I didn't want to send her more than she would have billed me.

I mailed her a check for $300 this morning with a note that said "The quilting did turn out wonderful. Thank you for doing this for me." I didn't mention her offer of "No Charge." Have I paid her more than she would have billed? Maybe... but I won't go broke either way. I'll let you know if she deposits my check.

I have a long arm quilting business. And yes it would be nice to pay her for her efforts as these are beautiful. I charge 2 cents a square inch. (That's length times weight times .02 and then the total) I would add up all the charges then divided the amount and sent that to her with a small gift. Yes, life does get in the way of our business, however having the tops to be quilted was way to long.

I think the suggestions are excellent, but I think you have to realize that busy or not, she should have acknowledged what was happening with your quilts. My concern would have been that they were lost or somehow destroyed. That being said, I'm sure she means well but would accept some compensation for her beautiful work.

If it was me, I'd send her a gift card for a quilt shop in her area. I wouldn't feel right accepting that she wouldn't take anything for her beautiful work, even if it did take a long time.
    MLOQuilts

I would charge $188.00 for the blocks and $88.00 for the second one. That is georgous custom quilting. If that helps you, when we longarmers can' t complete on time we either discount or do a no charge because we value your business and want you to come back to us.

In answer to your specific question... Take width times length to get the square inches of the $200.00 quilt. Divide 200 by that calculated number and you will have the amount per inch she originally intended to charge you. If you feel the quilting on the other was equal in quality and density use the same pricing. Deduct late fee from there and include a note to say how much you like the quilting.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

As a busy longarmer, it's not unusual to be backed up for months. I had to quit taking new customers just to get them done in 4 months. A year is not bad for custom, beautiful work. She spent a lot of time doing those and .015 cents per square inch would be very reasonable.

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    $200 for quilting that size quilt is robbery. I would send her a nice size gift card to a restaurant and call it even. She was giving them to settle her heart. Take the nice gift you were given and either pay it forward or get the gift card.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input. My first impulse was to send her a check for $300... but I didn't know what the quilting was actually worth. I didn't want to send her more than she would have billed me.

I mailed her a check for $300 this morning with a note that said "The quilting did turn out wonderful. Thank you for doing this for me." I didn't mention her offer of "No Charge." Have I paid her more than she would have billed? Maybe... but I won't go broke either way. I'll let you know if she deposits my check.
    She called me today to acknowledge the check and to ask if I liked the quilting. She said $300 was a good price for her work, and she wanted me to give her more quilts in the future. Alls well that ends well...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3