Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Pay for This Custom Long-Armed Quilting?

I agree with the idea of sending her $300 and a card. You could write that she can use the cash to improve her inventory or perhaps do some free quilting on charity quilts. Also let her know if you would use her again with her quality quilting with a realistic timeframe.

I would send her the agreed on fee minus a percent for being late. She still did the work and spent the time on them. The quilting as well as the pieceing is beautiful and she needs to be compensated for it. I would still send her the money.
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    If you calculate .025 per square inch and then deduct a percentage for lateness you will come up with an amount to send her

They are beautiful quilts and the long-arm quilting is very nice. I'd try to pay her according to some other suggestions with a deduction for the time and if she absolutely refuses to take payment then send her a gift card or other appreciation gift.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. It’s hard to see where you’re going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I think it would be nice to just pay her what you had agreed on, minus a bit...maybe the 5% per month that was mentioned before. I would send a check, and if she didn't cash it, at least you tried.

Dina

I vote for this....I am sure she feels bad, but she did some great work!

Length x width x .015 is what I pay for basic quilting. That is $95.83. If she is not willing to say what custom quilting should add you could not be expected to pay it. That could be the trade off for the length of time it took. I would send her $100 dollars with a nice note.

Love your quilts - it must have been like seeing an old friend when you got them back. Unrelated to your question - where ever did you get the three fabrics in the cubes for the illusions quilt???? How did you find 3 such perfect shades of the same colors? You did an amazing job on both quilts and well worth having them long-arm quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieLOU View Post
    Love your quilts - it must have been like seeing an old friend when you got them back. Unrelated to your question - where ever did you get the three fabrics in the cubes for the illusions quilt???? How did you find 3 such perfect shades of the same colors? You did an amazing job on both quilts and well worth having them long-arm quilted.
    Thank you! Part of Karen Combs class was how to choose fabrics to make the illusion. I started with the border print that I got in a yard sale. From that print I choose three colors and then three shades of that color to make the illusion. The fabrics in the cubes came from yard sales, other quilts that I had done, and WebFabrics. The background batik was from Joanns. Finding just the right colors was the hardest part. Drafting the different cubes was the most fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I vote for this....I am sure she feels bad, but she did some great work!
    I agree with both of you!!!! Both of you did stunning work!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Blog Entries
    'valleyquiltermo' - I am not new to longarming, in that I have used many to do my quilts over the years. But, I am a new longarmer and I appreciated your comment and am going to print it out for my "notes".

I am currently still learning how to use my machine and have been very lucky to have a group that feeds me all their charity quilts to "practice" on. I have done about ten of them for them. I am also very lucky that they don't have any deadlines associated with them - only the ones I give myself.

I have been on vacation quite a bit since they came to me so I am looking forward to my life slowing down some so I can get them all done.

Banned
    Love your quilts and the LAQ did a nice job of highlighting instead of all-over quilting.
    I think the idea of a gift certificate is a good one
    Favorite Fabrics (a Board member) has nice selections, reasonable prices, fast delivery and good service: http://www.favoritefabrics.com. I would say the same for Delta Patchworks: http://www.deltapatchwork.com
    My other vendor would be Hancock's of Paducah, their selection is vast and steep prices, lots on sale though: http://www.hancocks-paducah.com

I would not try to pay her - too little and she's insulted, too much and she's embarrassed
    Last edited by gollytwo; 05-07-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    Long story short... I made two quilts that I really loved, but I didn't know how to quilt them. I found a long-arm quilter that does beautiful work. I pretty much left it up to her how to quilt it because I had no clue. My only request was that I wanted the blocks to stand out from the background on the first one (first two pictures). She said that she would "try" to keep the cost below $200. We never discussed the price on the second one (third and fourth pictures).

That was last June, and she told me not to expect them back until December. The only correspondence that I received from her was in November saying that she would start my beautiful quilt soon. After 11 months I received the quilts in the mail with this note:

"...Your quilts are finished & I think turned out wonderful. Because I have had them so long there w/be NO charge for the quilting - I was so busy this past year that I didn't know whether I was coming or going - and they got put on the back burner - My apologies for the delay..."

No way will I let her give me the custom quilting for "NO charge." The first one is 55 inches x 76 inches, and the second one is 47 inches square. What do you think is a fair price to pay her?
    Stick with the $200.00 per quilt
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I would send her a check for at least $300.00 and tell her how much I appreciate her generous offer to not charge for them. Her work is absolutely gorgeous,as are your quiltmaking. She did the quilting and needs to accept payment for her work and time. Late would not influence me. It would be uncaring to send money to a charity, they have people making a huge amount of money.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Send her a check for whatever amount you decide--someone suggested a discount for lateness, which seems fair. I'm guessing (assuming) she declined payment as a way of being fair and contrite over keeping the quilts so long and because she doesn't want her reputation as a long arm quilter damaged. But if you send payment, I think she'll accept it.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
    Send her a check for whatever amount you decide--someone suggested a discount for lateness, which seems fair. I'm guessing (assuming) she declined payment as a way of being fair and contrite over keeping the quilts so long and because she doesn't want her reputation as a long arm quilter damaged. But if you send payment, I think she'll accept it.
    I agree with this post.

I think you should pay her something - the work is lovely.

Sometimes a "Thank You" is worth a Million Dollars.

I agree with several others. Pay her minus 10% for being late. Include a sincere thank you for the beautiful job she did and that you feel she did deserve to be paid even tho it took her much longer than expected to complete them. Hey, we all have issues at times but she did get them completed and they are just beautiful - kudos to the piecer and thanks to the long arm quilter.
    Busy in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonkh View Post
    Length x width x .015 is what I pay for basic quilting. That is $95.83. If she is not willing to say what custom quilting should add you could not be expected to pay it. That could be the trade off for the length of time it took. I would send her $100 dollars with a nice note.

the level of quilting pictured is a far cry beyond basic end to end stipple or panto. I agree with another poster that this level of custom work is in the .04 to .05 per s/i price range. She did a beautiful job and even though she told you no charge, I am sure she will appreciate the gesture of payment.

She did a beautiful job quilting your beautiful quilts. As for how much to pay, I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Blog Entries
    Lovely! I agree with the others. Full price with a deduction for whatever you feeel your inconvenience was. That way she will be eager to help you out in the future. Everyone will be happy.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Beautiful quilts and quilting!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Wow! She did beautiful work! I had an experience similar to yours where a longarm quilter had my quilt for a year - she had a problem which held her up from the first deadline, and then it just went on and on. I had pretty much given up on her, but I finally got it back and her quilting was absolutely stunning. Of course, I paid $300 for it (no discount offered for the long delay). I probably won't use her any more because she seems to have a hard time respecting deadlines, although she is the best quilter I've ever had. My experience with LA quilters is that most of the time, they miss their deadlines. Artistic temperament maybe?

Anyway, I would probably pay your quilter the $200 you had originally talked about. Not a bad price for two gorgeous quilts. I love both the patterns and you did a beautiful job on them.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I think I would send her at least the $200.00 & tell her that it is a donation for her work. It was really nice of her to not charge for being so late getting them back to you. I have known a few that have kept quilts that long & still charged the regular price for quilting them. Beautiful quilts by the way.
    I agree. I sent a gal a really nifty animal-print quilt several YEARS ago to be LA'ed. Why don't I have it today? Because she MOVED & I have no idea where she or it is! Be glad you ever saw these again!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    I'm a longarmer and if I'm late getting your quilt to you I deduct 5% for every month I'm late and a 10% discount on the next quilt I do for you. By the way I am not usually late unless I get sick or my machine goes down. Then I call and let them know what is going on.
    Your quilts and the quilting is lovely.
    This sounds fair to me. It was nice of her to say "No charge", but she deserves something for her beautiful work. The quilts are beautiful!

Norma

You are right to want to pay her something, but the amount of the check should be tempered by the anxiety you felt in having to wait so long and whether you know how unavoidable the delay was. It seems communication was lacking.

I'm going to go against the flow and object to a gift to charity. This is someone you don't know well, and there's every reason to assume her choice of a charity wouldn't be the same as yours. I don't think it's appropriate as compensation for work. It's okay for some situations among people you know well, such as when someone dies and the family would rather name a charity in lieu of flowers.

Another idea: Your piecing is so extremely good, that I'm wondering if she might not be thrilled to accept as a thank you a small top that you might make for her. Both of you would appreciate the value, but it would have the advantage of not being defined merely in dollars and cents for either of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast