Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm >

Long arm

Long arm

Old 12-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I was just shy of being 60 when I got my long arm. Always wanted one, couldn't afford it or didn't have space. Then one day we moved, had space, still couldn't afford it but boutght it anyway.lol I love mine and don't think of it as work.
I find your post encouraging! I am 60 and just purchased a very nice, used Grace frame. I live in an apartment and it's set up in the bedroom. I hope in the next few months to get a 9" machine or a Bailey. My goal is to become proficient with the short arm setup. I've seen beautiful work done with a short arm. This is part of the quilting process I want to learn. I want to finish my big stack of tops and get them on the beds of my loved ones. There's no way I can afford a longarmer and keep piecing.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 PM

No long arm but I have a long Mountain Mist pattern frame. If I win the lottery I'm still won't upgrade......I'll send all my quilts to Charisma. Merry First Day of Christmas everyone.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Just can not justify the cost of one...but those that have them really seem to love em...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 AM

I don't have a long arm but I'm shopping around for a used one. I've been quilting ten years and it's pretty much taken over my life. It IS my life. I don't think it's a necessary thing - just like a lot of sewing doodads and gadgets. I know that I have always been artistic and am really passionate about my quilts...I am totally capable of quilting large quilts on a domestic but I just don't really want to. I think to own or not own a long arm is a really personal choice and it's hard to judge someone else's reason for wanting one.

I'd like to make a little money on the side with mine because quilting is my passion but we are on a tight budget...if I didn't currently do commissioned projects or sell on Etsy I couldn't have afforded half of the things that I have for my sewing. But I'm not planning on running a huge business any time soon. I think when you start quilting hundred of quilts you lose time for yourself and your own creativity and I know for me - I don't want that. But I can totally understand why someone would. (I have small children at home - I'd like to make a career of my quilting some day in some way, but for now they are my priority over all other things.) It was a HUGE decision to set aside the money for this purchase, I have never spent this kind of money on myself. The most expensive thing I own other than my house or my car is a $300 featherweight! Lol* I don't think I would either if I weren't absolutely sure I would use it. It's not for everyone - and if you are an avid quilter who'd like more space there are a lot of other options aside from a long arm.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM

I bought one and ended up selling it! You need a very large room, you need lots of patience to learn it. I bought the Sweet 16 with the table ($3,500) and I have quilted dozens of quilts on it, even king size. Its' easy, fun and only uses 1/3 of the space of the long arm
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM

I'm considering getting a one and still investigating. Can't afford new though. Sewing room is in the basement and with some rearranging would have room. I am enjoying reading all the thoughts here. I presently send my quilts to a friend in IA.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 PM

I do not have a long-arm and don't anticipate ever owning one. I don't really have room for a LA system nor do I think I really want one. What I WOULD like to have is a mid-arm with lots and lots of throat space and a table that I can SIT at. I am one of those who likes my quilt to be my very own from beginning to end, from design concept to the final stitch in the binding. I am just picky that way, so would probably never send a quilt out for quilting. I've done several queen size quilts on my domestic that has a 7 3/4" throat. I get it done, and I'm almost always pleased with my results, but it IS a wrestling match. I could see having something like the HQ 16 or maybe the new Baby Lock Tiara, which I went and drooled over last week. Right now, however, it's just not in the budget.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 PM

Got a HQ Sweet Sixteen recently - so a mid-arm - it's the sit-down. Love it, love playing/practicing with it, and can't wait to get some of my tops done. I just could never part with them, not knowing for sure how they would come back. Call me a control freak.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
I do not have a long-arm and don't anticipate ever owning one. I don't really have room for a LA system nor do I think I really want one. What I WOULD like to have is a mid-arm with lots and lots of throat space and a table that I can SIT at. I am one of those who likes my quilt to be my very own from beginning to end, from design concept to the final stitch in the binding. I am just picky that way, so would probably never send a quilt out for quilting. I've done several queen size quilts on my domestic that has a 7 3/4" throat. I get it done, and I'm almost always pleased with my results, but it IS a wrestling match. I could see having something like the HQ 16 or maybe the new Baby Lock Tiara, which I went and drooled over last week. Right now, however, it's just not in the budget.
I know some here would disagree with me, but I got myself an industrial machine for Christmas! It's "only" 12 inches, not 16 (oh, but the 12 is so nice!!!). I got one that is a knock-off of the Juki 8700 and it has a servo motor that has adjustable speed. I got it off Ebay and it was less than $450 delivered to my door. Took about 4 hours to put it all together (no instructions; it would probably take us an hour to put one together now that we know how!). I haven't really had a chance to sit and play with her, but I did do a few practice runs and she is great!!! The table is about 3 ft x 5 ft so she doesn't take up much room. What really turned me against a mid arm on a table is that they don't have feed dogs. I like to do straight stitches on my quilt too so I couldn't really see any reason *not* to go industrial.