Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron question >

Iron question

Iron question

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM

I've had 2 Rowenta irons--the first quit heating and the second one leaked after just a few months and I checked it and it was made in Germany. It gets really frustrating following the instructions to use the recommended water, etc. and still have an iron leak. I now have a V100 Reliable which I love but it is heavy. I've used the Oliso at classes and I like it a lot. I still use my inexpensive Hamilton Beach.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 PM

My Reliable has had service twice. Had to ship to Canada. $$$$
Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana

Well I bit the bullet and bought the Rowenta. It is wonderful to iron. Only thing is when I put it in the upright position it spits. So I guess it is going back. I mean after it spits it leaves something on the plate that wipes off on the material. I was not sure if I could use my tap water because we have a water softener on our house. So I called and they said No softened water. So that would mean I have to buy water for this iron. I don't think I want to do that. This is just crazy. I will bring it back to the store tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by GammaLou View Post
I had a Shark that I loved. It was the more high end model ($50 range) and I loved the vertical steam feature. Works great for those things you can't put on the ironing board to iron!

I then thought I had to get a Rowenta and yes, it leaks. I am now using only distilled water and it still leaks. Next iron will be a Shark!!
My Rowenta's manual says NOT to use distilled water as it will cause the iron to leak, spit, etc. It says to use tap water. And if your water is very hard to use a 1/2 & 1/2 mixture of tap & distilled...or to use bottled spring water.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 PM

(this is going to sound silly), but I don't know the brand of my iron, but I've had it 1 yr and I love it. I ordered it online at Vermont Country Store. It is a dry iron (that gets really hot) for about $32.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM

My Reliable Velocity just died. It worked fine yesterday and today I can't get it to heat up. I am not a happy camper. I've had it about 2 years, a little less. It was expensive and worked great. I guess I am running over to Target to see what I can pick up since I am in the middle of several projects!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 PM

My Rowenta Focus was made in Germany and it more than spits. I have water dripping all over my ironing board. It is just a few months old. Not sure what I am going to do.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM

FWIW, my two thrift store $3 (half-price day) Proctor Silex irons are the best I have used in a long time! TONS of steam from both of them. I have two Rowentas that DO NOT have the auto shut off feature and they have worked for years with no problem. I had two earlier Rowenta models with auto shut off that both quit heating. Could the problem be with the auto shut off feature? One I threw away and the other will continue to heat but if I let it click off using the auto shut off feature, it won't heat back up again. I have to let it sit for a couple of months before it works again! Talk about tempermental!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 AM

Are you aware that Bed, Bath and Beyond carries Rowentas and they will give you a new iron if ANYTHING goes wrong with it no matter how long you have had it? Just save the receipt.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM

That's where I bought my last one and I have the receipt. I guess I'm going to bed bath and beyond tomorrow to get a new iron. My Rowenta just peed all over my table, again.