Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting using old clothes >

Quilting using old clothes

Quilting using old clothes

Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Love this quilt!!!
Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
A dear friend passed 4+ years ago, I used his shirts & a pair of work pants to make his wife Katie, what I call.."Hugs from Heaven".. I made my 3 stepdaughters small quilts from their mothers blouses also.. I've used old curtain panels on a quilt..Fabric is fabric, 'til you cut & sew, then it may become a quilt!!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM

I can tell somebody loves that quilt for sure! He is so cute!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM

My husband just today offered me a stack of his wrinkle free Oxford shirts that have gotten scruffy or stained one way or another. I was a bit skeptical. It seems like those might be better used in different projects than quilts.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
A dear friend passed 4+ years ago, I used his shirts & a pair of work pants to make his wife Katie, what I call.."Hugs from Heaven".. I made my 3 stepdaughters small quilts from their mothers blouses also.. I've used old curtain panels on a quilt..Fabric is fabric, 'til you cut & sew, then it may become a quilt!!
Who'd have guessed you could get that much fabric from three shirts. Love the quilt and I'll bet Katie does too.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM

A lot of people use clothing to make quilts. Many go to Goodwill and such. Like was noted above Bonnie Hunter was at our guild meeting and she shows you how to debone shirts on her website. It's what you like and can afford. Stuff the quilt police it's your quilt.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM

I try to stick to 100% cotton fabric. Women's and men's shirts are a good source but skirts are usually a bounty of fabric if you search through the sizes. The most important thing to consider is the fabric content throughout the quilt. My grandmother's quilts were made of old workshirts and scraps. They have withstood the test of time!

Bottom line, quilts that are well constructed and use quality fabric (used or not) will wear well. One does not require a stash of fabric to create a quilt that is creatively beautiful and functional. Old blankets are my batting of choice for winter weight quilts.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 PM

Recycle what you can, this tutorial might help. I started this and didn't finish yet (got side-tracked on another project)
http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 PM

Bonnie Hunter has turned this idea into a science. I happen to have her book "Scraps & Shirttails: Reuse, Re-purpose, Recycle! The art of Quilting Green" out of our guild library at the moment, and it inspired me to go out and buy a pile of the biggest men's all cotton shirts I could find. I have just started cutting them apart, and have been impressed with the amount of fabric that came out of them. Two were size XXL, and they were 28 inches across the back. I would suggest having a look at this book if possible because it is full of useful suggestions and some very attractive patterns.

A few years ago I made a rag quilt out of recycled flannel shirts and denim jeans. My daughter was thrilled with it because it's very heavy and warm as well as being an earth-friendly alternative to buying all new material.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM

[h=2]3 shirts = quilt throw[/h]

This is a Beautiful quilt what pattern did you use?
I also make quilts with good used clothing and Blankets for Batting and sheets for backings.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 AM

Crazy quilts are great in using clothing. I have made several but sorry I don't have pictures. My motto for crazy quilts is anything that can be ironed can be made into the quilt. I like the different textures. The key to a successful crazy quilt is to sew the pieces on a foundation such as an old sheet, or thin fabric. I found a thin worn out sheet works great! It's your project use what you can afford and like.