Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting? >

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
It is not a stupid question, as there is no such thing, only a stupid person who doesn't ask! It is also a query with all quilters as you will see from all the replies.

I am lucky 'cos here in the UK the original non slip rulers were invented: http://www.creativegrids.com/ I don't know if you can get them over the pond or what price they would be but to me they are impressive and do work. The built in non slip points on the under side really work and for me I love their clear Black/White markings.
I have their new log cabin ruler and I love it. I wish all my ruler were like it. I'm not about to replace all my rulers so I use the sandpaper dots. If I need any new ones I will more than likely get the Creative Grids rulers.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM

I have Invisi Grip on the back of my rulers and have been very happy with it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM

I use that grip stuff (not sure what it's called) that you use in drawers to keep them from slipping. You can attach it with a drop of glue on the ruler.

I have also used those window grippy things that you get a Harbor Freight and put them onto the ruler.

Just saying ............

Blessings. Ellie
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
It is not a stupid question, as there is no such thing, only a stupid person who doesn't ask! It is also a query with all quilters as you will see from all the replies.

I am lucky 'cos here in the UK the original non slip rulers were invented: http://www.creativegrids.com/ I don't know if you can get them over the pond or what price they would be but to me they are impressive and do work. The built in non slip points on the under side really work and for me I love their clear Black/White markings.
I love my creative grids rulers and have a variety of them. Certainly worth the money.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM

I've already commented, but one more thing, I don't cut vertical away from me, but horizontal away from me, its easier on my hip, and I have a steady control, also have used the suction cups on larger rulers sometimes.

Last edited by OKLAHOMA PEACH; 02-08-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 AM

I tried all the different things to hold my ruler but finally gave up. Now I stand over my ruler tall enough to hold it down firmly and walk my hand up the ruler as I cut. This works better than any thing Ive tried. Do have to use a small stool to stand on.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM

I like ube quilting's idea, it seems that little flip of fabric would give the ruler something to hang onto. When I made my tree skirt with a wedge type ruler it stated right in the pattern to apply packing tape (thin clear tape) in several spots on the back of the ruler. Apparently the stickiness at the edge of the tape is enough to grip. It worked, and I peeled it off afterward so I wouldn't store a messy template.

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Here is something I posted a while ago. This also works on folded fabric for strip cutting. Just that one little cut in the end of the material really works! Get some fabric out right now and try it!

let me know how it works for you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t136061.html

peace

EDIT: Nothing needed on the ruler. No rubber cement, invsigrip, weights, rubberbands
No cost!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM

I have Invisi-Grip on some of my rulers and also have the sandpaper dots (cut in half) on others. Another thing when you are cutting a strip longer than 12", make sure to only cut when you have your other hand holding the ruler right next to where you are cutting. As you push past where your hand is holding the ruler, stop cutting, walk your fingers away from yourself to the next portion, continue cutting, stop cutting, move your fingers again, until you get all the way across.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM

The problem I have with the sandpaper or other solutions that keep the ruler from moving is that I need to be able to slide the ruler along the fabric to get it where it should go - for those tiny little movements, moving over just a smidge, the sandpaper doesn't allow for these small adjustments.

Any ideas as to how to solve this?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 AM

I have Invisigrip on mine but it doesn't work as well as I need it to ( severe carpal tunnel in both hands- surgery on 1 next week).
so after following this thread I applied hot glue dots to the ruler I use most often (after I took the Invisigrip off).
It works great! I only need it when I can't use my Go, but will have to apply to my other rulers too
thanks for the tip