Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting? >

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM

I invested in Invisigrip and put is on all my rulers. After a short time it became frosy appearing and then began falling off the rulers and not sticking. I pulled it off and threw it away. I do no like the sand paper dots nor the clear dots because then the ruler is not sitting right on the fabric and I don't feel accuracy in cutting is achieved. the spray baste idea seems messy and sticky to me, although I may give it a try. I read this post with interest, hoping there was something I have not tried. I liked the invisigrip when it was new, but it gets old pretty quickly. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM

When I first set out to buy supplies for quilting, "in error" I bought a ruler with a "edge" or a "lip" on one end. It is just slight enough to hold on to the cutting mat. I can not cut without now. I have since bought many other rulers to try and I always go back to my "lip" ruler.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM

I just bought the sand paper dots to place on rulers so they don't slip. Work great. I have the same problem as you. It is frustrating especially when I am cutting a long piece. Try these. Don't remember what I paid, I think it was 5$ but worth it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 AM

I was just at Road to California & saw this demonstrated & brought one. It works great without all the pressure of a knee & one arm. I just cut 43 fat quarters into strips without one slip. WWW.quilterssslidelock.com
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
I like Invisi-grip, but I want to try the rubber cement idea. Sounds like it would be even better. Even with Invisi-grip, the ruler will move. I have always followed the advice to hold down the ruler in the area you are cutting, then "walk" your fingers up the ruler as you continue to cut away from yourself. Any time I try to hold it in one place and cut the entire length, it slips a little on me.
Me too. Got an accuquilt Go for Christmas & loveit but still there are some things you have too cut. Have also done Jan,s trick & used my whole arm. I've lose so much strength in my hands from carpel tunnel
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM

A few dots from a hot glue gun works also.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by pkelly1947 View Post
I was just at Road to California & saw this demonstrated & brought one. It works great without all the pressure of a knee & one arm. I just cut 43 fat quarters into strips without one slip. WWW.quilterssslidelock.com
I also bought one and cut some lovely strips with it. I bought the green (lighted) one. It's doesn't have batteries, but the acrylic is green and sort of glows.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
I know this seems like a stupid question, but I have the hardest time cutting a straight line with my ruler unless I hold it down really well. I cut on my floor for the most part, so what I end up doing is putting a knee on one end of the ruler and my hand on the other end and then cutting with my other hand. It works fine, and I get straight cutting w/o the ruler moving on me, but I think I would prefer to cut on my table, however, every time I do cut on the table I have problems with my ruler moving on me.

I would love help with figuring out how to fix this issue!
It is not a stupid question, as there is no such thing, only a stupid person who doesn't ask! It is also a query with all quilters as you will see from all the replies.

I am lucky 'cos here in the UK the original non slip rulers were invented: http://www.creativegrids.com/ I don't know if you can get them over the pond or what price they would be but to me they are impressive and do work. The built in non slip points on the under side really work and for me I love their clear Black/White markings.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

I have a cutting mat on a table and use my long ruler - anchored at one end with a spring hand clamp from Walmart. It holds it really well - and if I need a really long cut, I will use another spring hand clamp (so there is one on each end of the ruler holding the material and ruler tight to the cutting mat - and then cut. Works great for me.

Marysewfun
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pkelly1947 View Post
I just looked at this and it looks like a pretty neat invention, :-)

Marysewfun