Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting? >

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
My cutting table is at a good, comfortable height where i can get a good reach and good angle. I also cut TOWARDS me - starting at the farthest point and pulling the rotary cutter towards me instead of pushing it away from me. For me, I can control much better. I know most of you will say "It's not safe" I don't have problems w/ my ruler moving and i've never lost control of my cutter.
I sincerely hope you never do, because that could be really ugly. Sorry to be so blunt, but I find that really, really scary.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM

You could also try dots of nail polish and a sprinkle of salt on the backs of your rulers.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I use the Quilter's Slide Lock. There is no way I'd use a rotary cutter without a safety tool that keeps the ruler steady. All it takes is one slip for a nasty cut. I don't take the Slide Lock to classes, everyone wants to use it (but too cheap to buy one) and it's hard to keep up with who has it so I use a cut resistant glove when I'm away from home in case the ruler does slip.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM

I use "TrueGrips". They are non-slip adhesive circles. I use 3 on the back of every one of my rulers and it works great! 15 grips per pkg. for a couple of dollars. I bought it online either at Joanne's or amazon. I'm sorry...I can't remember where.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Here is something I posted a while ago. This also works on folded fabric for strip cutting. Just that one little cut in the end of the material really works! Get some fabric out right now and try it!

let me know how it works for you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t136061.html

peace

EDIT: Nothing needed on the ruler. No rubber cement, invsigrip, weights, rubberbands
No cost!

Last edited by ube quilting; 02-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM

I read this yesterday and thought...yup..I have the same problem. Went to Joanns today and bought the "Slip 'N Grips" added them to my rulers and have been cutting away without any movement at all! Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM

Well, so far I have tried the rubber cement on my HST ruler and it's working well. Though I may try invisigrip on another one just because I'm so curious about it. hehe

I'm so glad I asked! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 PM

This is one of the hardest things for me. It seems no matter what that ruler slips!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM
Swap Hosts

Before I got invisi-grips, I would just spray a little quilt basting on the back -- just a tiny bit -- it was enough to make it stay put.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 AM

Best thing would to be to get up off the floor so you can have more control. Perhaps a kitchen counter or a table. Place your cutting board on the flat surface, then look carefully at the marking on the ruler as they rest on the material .Once you are satisfied that the ruler is on straight, place your hand on the ruler firmly with one finger off the edge-the little one- so that it can stop movement of the ruler. Then move your hand up the ruler, then cut fabric as far as the hand hold, then move your hand up the ruler again while staying in contact with the ruler and cut. Do this to the very end of the ruler and your cut will be straight. As you do the cutting begin to realize that you may be putting too much pressure on the ruler with the rotary cutter. Have you body right in front of the cut to see if you can adjust this pressure as it can be the cause of the ruler slide.

Last edited by mcar; 02-07-2013 at 04:42 AM.