Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So very frustrated with free motion quilting >

So very frustrated with free motion quilting

So very frustrated with free motion quilting

Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 AM

Lots of LSMG will set the machines back to the factory defaults. Some do better than others. Makes a lot of people I know crazy, because when they get it back they have to fix what the LSMG "Broke" for their type of work.

*Keeping in mind, I don't know your machine in particular...*
It's possible he adjusted your upper tension or the bobbin tension too tight or too loose. This would throw the Superior recommendations off a little. That's why they're a starting point.

I mentioned in another thread today that the one FMQ foot I was using on one of my machines causes skipped stitches. I haven't figured out yet what's doing it, but changing nothing else and just changing to a different foot stopped the skipping. There are more reasons than needle and thread. Tension, something wrong with the foot, I found that one of my machines skipped if I practiced without batting, or really thin batting, but was fine with thicker batting. That was somewhat resolved with greater tension and speeding up, but not completely. I should note here that almost all of my practice is done with truly crappy thread. The thread I get on bobbins when I buy vintage machines. It doesn't get cheaper than this. The last thread I used was so "hairy" it looked like wool. The machine didn't care.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]421411[/ATTACH]

How does it sew for normal piecing? Is the seam good? A little loose? Tight? How does the tension balance look?
Attached Thumbnails threadsmall.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM

I know I said I was going to iron, but I walked into my sewing room, looked at those hateful white shirts and sat right back down at my machine. I think for now, I have it quilting okay. Turns out I didn't have in the needle I thought I did and that appears to have caused the skipping and thread shredding I was getting. My top stitches look pretty good. The back isn't great but it's brown with brown thread and you can't really see it. I'm hoping it will all even out in the wash, so to speak.

My goodness, there's so many things that have to work together for fmq it's a wonder anyone can do it! Needles, threads, top & bottom tension, speed, fabrics & on & on. But a lot of people do amazing work right here on this board, so I will keep trying. Thanks to all who've commented. Tammi, I feel like you're my new best friend! You've been so generous with your time, suggestions and knowlege & I really thank you. You asked how the machine is doing for normal piecing. I don't know yet as I haven't done any piecing on it since it came back from the shop. I'll give it a go after/if I finish quilting this.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

This works for my Janome 6500. Do NOT drop the feed dogs, use a 90/14 Schmetz top stitch needle, use Aurifil thread both in the top and bottom and set the machine to Moda 2 quilting. I also use Machingers gloves. Oh yes be sure to use the quilting foot provided with your machine.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I know I said I was going to iron, but I walked into my sewing room, looked at those hateful white shirts and sat right back down at my machine. I think for now, I have it quilting okay. Turns out I didn't have in the needle I thought I did and that appears to have caused the skipping and thread shredding I was getting. My top stitches look pretty good. The back isn't great but it's brown with brown thread and you can't really see it. I'm hoping it will all even out in the wash, so to speak.

My goodness, there's so many things that have to work together for fmq it's a wonder anyone can do it! Needles, threads, top & bottom tension, speed, fabrics & on & on. But a lot of people do amazing work right here on this board, so I will keep trying. Thanks to all who've commented. Tammi, I feel like you're my new best friend! You've been so generous with your time, suggestions and knowlege & I really thank you. You asked how the machine is doing for normal piecing. I don't know yet as I haven't done any piecing on it since it came back from the shop. I'll give it a go after/if I finish quilting this.
I am told that washing hides a multitude of sins. Most of my sins apparently are bigger than that.

All of the little fiddly parts of setting up for FMQ are usually not an issue. Most of the time we can just go for it. The problem happens when one of the things is intolerable to a machine, then there's troubleshooting. I don't see any reason you won't get this figured out. I'm happy to help. So many people have helped me here, I'm just paying it forward.

The reason I asked about piecing is that it will show a fundamental problem quicker than a sandwich. The sammie will take up and hide a bit of a tension issue because of bulk that the piecing won't.

I totally want to see what you're quilting after this too.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM

I have the same machine, and have used it exclusively the past year and a half. Yes, mode 1, 3.5 stitch length, and reduce the presser foot pressure to about 1. I like to use a sample sandwich and try out the design I plan to use, adjusting the tension as I go til I have it where I think it needs to be.

If I had one thing to say about FMQ it would be to press down firmly with both hands as you go. I find I have very good control doing so. I agree with you re the stitches not being as perfect as I'd like to see them...a bit of OCD here. lol I'm not using any special bobbin case, but have recently switched to a topstitch needle and plain old cotton quilting thread and really like the difference those changes made. I know...more money out. I have a big supply of "special" threads, marking pens, rulers, cutters, mats, etc, but find it's probably best to just stick to the simple things and go for it.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Toe catchers in the curve suggests that you are moving the fabric waaaay too fast. Slow down a bit and maintain an even speed. Don't give up - practice is the key.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thanneaKS View Post
I use the regular bobbin case with good tension results on my 6600p. The only times that I've had trouble were when the bobbin case needed cleaning (remove the bobbin case and clean under it with an oily q-tip) and it needed a drop of oil (on the wick under the bobbin case). Hope this helps.
Yes, this for the 6500 too. They say it doesn't need oiling but it does right there.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Have you tried the bobbin genies? They a little silicone washers you put in your bobbin case. I use them in my Janome. I also sometimes put my top thread on a thread stand and that helps with certain fabrics and threads. The teacher in my FMQ had never heard of that but it helps sometimes on my machine. I know you can purchase the bobbin genie washers from Leah Day. See if there are any tips on her site. I used to use a throat plate on my machine with a single hole in it. Hope yu figure it out. Or go back where you purchased the machine and as for help.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 PM

I too have loved the Bottom Line thread for piecing--and quilting. However, it is picky, picky, picky to quilt with. I used a 100% cotton in the top, and had to adjust to get the tension right. I think Superior's Masterpiece would probably work better in the top and bottom. I've used Aurafield and like that as well. I do want to find one that I am happy with the top and bottom threads.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 AM

Y'all, I just had to post one more time. Last night I happily completed my feathers. This morning I'm going to quilt straight lines on some stripe fabric. To match my colors I had to reverse my threads. Brown Superior Bottom Line from the bobbin to the needle and cream Superior Bottom Line from the needle to the bobbin. Hope that makes sense. Exact same thread, nothing else changed. Disaster. Thread shred. Thread dots. Curse, growl. Just for the heck of it, I got out my blue dot bobbin case and tried that. Miracle. Slight top tension adjustment. No thread shred...yet, and no thread dots. Amazing in a not very logical way.

If I ever finish I'll post a picture of this disaster. I'll have billions of threads to bury due to all the stops & starts & thread breakage, plus I'm out of town all next week so it'll take a while.