Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart? >

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 AM

I love my Walmart's fabric..Very little has not met my expectations. I check what I am purchasing...remember each store's department manager has control over most of the ordering. The one I go to has a sewer for a manager..About the only fabric I found sub standard is when the ship in a lot of 1-2 a yard as a special buyh..But depending on the purpose it may work well...I live in disability and can't afford to be a fabric snob! LOL
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM

I agree with Nessie, the VIP Cranston worked for me, it washed, sewed just fine, and ironed better than others. I was surprisingly very pleased. The gal at my Walmart suggested a line of fabrics-- E. A. Allen or Ethan Allan(something resembles very closely) and I saw several at $2.97/yd. And some of those were coordinating.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Some is decent ... Some isn't
Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Agree with all the posts telling you to feel the fabric and look at it through the light. I have purchased wonderful fabric at Wal Mart and not so good fabric too. Just make sure you check it out and don't get carried away with the pattern or design because you may regret it later.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM

I agree with some other's here. Walmart has some very good quality fabrics and some not as good. You will know the difference as soon as you handle it. The same can be said for Joann's. I shop at both but more often at Joann's since they have a much larger variety.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
They have some pretty patterns, just wondering what the quality is like. Has anyone used theirs?
Quilt fabric comes in 3 grades with the same print/design. Quilt stores usually have the best and so charge the most, places like Walmart/Joanns carry the lesser grades and the prices correspond.
I have made items from Walmart & the fabric does not last as long as quilt store fabric, however, for a childs quilt that will 'drag it through the mud' so to speak I would not spend the extra money if money is a factor in your budget.
I did purchase some prequilted fabric from Walmart and it continues to bleed everytime it is washed. So it is going to be an outside dog bed I did purchase a preprinted panel from there and haven't needed to wash it and every Christmas it goes up and looks great.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM

I don't buy a lot there, but have not had any problems with their fabrics.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Having read this thread, I decided to head over to Walmart this evening and see for myself what's what. Well, some was thin and cheap looking, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that some was as heavy and tight as fabric I've purchased for much more money. (12.50 yd vs 2.97-5.97 yd). I've had similar experiences with fabric quality at JoAnn's, although their prices are higher than Walmart. My LQS is consistently high quality, but I've gotten lesser quality fabrics at other quilt shops. I like a mix of types in my scrappy quilts, so I'm putting Walmart on my list of places to get 1/4 yard pieces.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 PM

I have gotten some beautiful fabric at Walmart. Some is too pretty to use! LOL, but I do anyway! Got some great deals on baby flannel there.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM

I have had good results with Walmart fabric. Be careful what you buy especially at Joann's, after testing, I stay away from the ones made in China. I pre-wash all my fabrics before using to get rid of chemicals and excess dye and those look terrible after washing and ironing them is difficult, the iron will not easily glide. My favorite fabric right now is Thimbleberries, even the dark reds and blacks do not bleed when washing. I have found them to be less expensive than some of the JoAnn fabrics. There was a note attached to the last ones I bought which guananteed not to bleed or shrink and that pre-washing was not necessary.