Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Connecting Threads Fabrics >
  • Connecting Threads Fabrics

• Connecting Threads Fabrics

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 AM

I have ordered quite a bit from CT and am pleased with their products and service. Only one collection I found to be a little thinner than others. And I feel their batiks are a little lighter weight than LQS but not enough difference to make me avoid them. I use their thread almost exclusively because of range of color and price. I think it may be more linty in my machine but I have not used premium thread enough to compare. I just clean under the plate more often. I have found that some prints in brand new collections are sold out before I can get online to take a look. There was a print that I would have gone back to order in all colors available because it would have been a good basic for me but was in a collection and was no longer available. Their flannels are nice and thick and soft - I have made pjs for me and baby items. I order my batting from Joanns because I now use mostly Warm and White and buy when it is on sale or use 40 - 50% off coupon and free shipping codes (even to Alaska)!!! If you are ordering from Fabric.com be sure to check Retail me Not for discount codes before you order.
    Don't get me started on Walmart!!!! They eliminated the fabric dept. in our local smaller WM (not a superstore) to put in more electronics. This is a small town with a couple of small quilt shops. Is anyone going to spend $10 -11/yard to build a Halloween costume???? I don't think so. I did buy fabric in WM early on in my quilting. I was always careful about what I chose and always prewashed. Their Cranston fabrics were nice quality. I also shopped their precuts for decorator/outdoor fabrics for tote bags and tablecloths. We have hands down the worst WM in the country. I know this because during our RVing days we were in WMs in Canada and all the way across the U.S. to FL. We have employees who don't speak English, don't know the merchandise in their dept., manager who is never there, often used products never on the shelves, and toilet paper in the paper towel dispenser in the rest room, and on and on. My husband has the corporate phone number in his wallet and does not hesitate to use it. This is a small town. If we had an alternative, that is where we would go. Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I feel better! N
    Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 PM

I have tried to support my LQS but can't afford them anymore at $11.50-13.00/ yd. I have bought from CT and liked the feel of their fabric. I have heard that all fabric is being printed overseas. My dd and her college friends were boycotting WM. I remarked to her, WM = parttime, no benefits, low wages, everyhing made overseas. Macy's= parttime,no benefits, low wages, everything made overseas. The difference was in quality. Most people buy what they can afford. As an aside, DH just bought his new suit and shirt for son's wedding. Shirt $ 75 made in china.
    Old 08-24-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GramMER
    I like the company a lot and have ordered from them before with great satisfaction, but last week I received a rather disconcerting message from them. It can be read here:

http://www.connectingthreads.com/cti...308_GMAIL.html

I tried to go to my settings and the first time it worked exactly like they said, but that page disappeared and I have never been able to get it back.

Any suggestions?
    I got the same message, but didn't worry about it. Maybe a should, but I didn't. I know how to get to their website to get fabric. I'm sure I'll miss out on emails, but I figure maybe I'll save some money if I'm not tempted
    Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 PM
    Power Poster

I just got an order from CT..Love their fabric and the customer service....
    Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Great! Another fabric source. I'm always looking for good ones. Going to check this out right now! LOL
    Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 PM

I love that CT doesn't mark up the prices on their pre-cuts. Same price as yardage! (And usually a good black friday pre cut sale!)[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that. I'll be on the look out now for sure. Thanks for the helpful tip!
    Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM

I have purchased from CT and have always been pleased. The only draw back with Connecting Threads is when they bring out a new line. When you see it, you better buy it. It sells out quickly. Their fall line this year with the orange, tan, sunflowers and gray went fast. It was great to work with and finished up so nicely. I wish I had bought more with the sunflowers on it.
    Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM

I LOVE CT fabrics! My suggestion to anybody is to see for yourself by buying a kit. Their prices are very reasonable and I feel you can't go wrong by starting out with a kit or a fat quarter package.
    Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM

Another online store you might want to check out is Fabric.com. I have ordered there many times and there fabric is great. If you spend $35 dollars, shipping is free. I have been purchasing mostly apparel fabric, I'm going to try sewing clothes again after many years away from garment sewing. For the person who said that all Wal-Mart fabric is junk is incorrrect. I have purchased fabric from Wal-Mart, my LQS, and a small local dept.store. I bought some lovely flannel from my LQS, brought it home, threw it into the washer and then the dryer. As I was folding the fabric to be put away, I noticed a flaw going down the entire length of the fabric. I had planned on making a whole cloth baby quilt with the fabric, but, after I saw the flaw going down the middle of the fabric, I will have to make other plans for the flannel. My point is, don't be afraid to try Connecting Threads or any other store for that matter. Find out if you like it.
    Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM

My only problem with their fabric is that it fades faster than any other fabric I have purchased. At the end of last year I rearranged my stash onto boards and ended up giving away quite a bit of fabric because it had faded. And it was almost all from CT.