Tri Flow; Pros and Cons

Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

You don't use T-F as a cleaner. It does unstick stuck up machines though.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Nancy
You say it has solvents in it, but it is a good overall lubricant? I have used it without any problems, but didn't realize that it has solvents in it and don't know if that is a good or a bad thing for general lubrication.
Here is the Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant Drip Bottle description that is on their website:

"Tri-Flow[SUP]®[/SUP] Superior Lubricant is the superior, light viscosity lube that allows for deep penetration into hard to reach moving parts. The drip bottle application, with a convenient straw, allows for deep penetration in hard to reach moving parts. High-grade petroleum oils provide optimum lubrication under extreme temperatures (-60 to 475°F) and humidity. Formulated solvents soften and remove dirt and contaminants, while special additives displace moisture and prevent rust and corrosion. Formulated with P.T.F.E."
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM

This has been fascinating, hearing everyone's different experiences. So, here is what I am thinking:

High-grade petroleum oils That's excellent quality sewing machine oil
Formulated solvents Not sure which solvent/s are in Tri Flow, but the discussions so far say that solvents are great for freeing up seized parts, helping to loosen rust, however, be careful around finishes, and also be sure that the solvent is wiped from the surface before re-oiling.
Special additives Presumably this is the PTFE, or in street-speak: Teflon.

So, Tril Flow's solvents will un-seize your machine, and at the same time, it will oil it and give it extra smoothness with the teflon. This all fits with much of the anecdotal evidence which has been written on this thread, and elsewhere.

However, I still have reservations about using it as a regular oil, because:

a) The knowledgeable folks who write about using certain solvents warn that often (depending on the solvent; e.g. kerosene, also some of what is in WD40) the solvent must be wiped away completely or else it will interfere with the subsequent oiling. So, I wonder if the Tri Flow may work well -in spite- of itself; that is, would it perhaps be better to use a solo solvent to de-rust and de-seize, and then follow with simply a high grade oil and solo liquid Teflon or solo liquid graphite? That is a genuine question and I really would love to hear what you think. (Vridar? You seem to know a fair bit about this!)

b) I did personally experience Tri Flow lifting black paint from an old Singer. So, I am wary of using it indiscriminately.

All that said, I do realize that many here are very loyal to Tri Flow and I sure don't mean to get anyone's back up! I also praise TriFlow, for it did un-seize some stuck bits for me. I just think perhaps that for me, it is best used for that special purpose only, and regular SM oil for regular oilings.

Enjoying all the information. :-)

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 10-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S.
Suze, I have no idea! But, so far, I am certainly enjoying hearing everyone's responses! I like it that we all have different experiences and can share and learn and even change our minds from time to time. And hey, if your LiquidTofu works, I will be keen to hear about it! :-)

What is the brand name of your LiquidTofu?
LiquidTofu!! ROFL. I like it.
it is Tri-Flow, the man at the shop said it was the same, just with soybeans instead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439635[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 83f05a7ee292b2a87fbef8409e005c00.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Suze9395
LiquidTofu!! ROFL. I like it.
it is Tri-Flow, the man at the shop said it was the same, just with soybeans instead.
Right, but soybeans are quite different than Teflon. Personally I wouldn't use a product that is able to breakdown and is biodegradable inside a sewing machine. I suspect it can have an odor eventually and the breakdown wouldn't be good for the machine mechanics. I sometimes wonder if someone used fish oil on one of my machines because it has a off odor that I've never encountered in a machine before.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S.
So, I wonder if the Tri Flow may work well -in spite- of itself; that is, would it perhaps be better to use a solo solvent to de-rust and de-seize, and then follow with simply a high grade oil and solo liquid Teflon or solo liquid graphite? That is a genuine question and I really would love to hear what you think.:-)
Cecilia, An excellent critique. My take follows. I'm enjoying the excellent comments. Really worth the price of admission.

No, I'm not an oil authority, but, I do believe in using the proper product for the task. I'm not in favor of the shotgun approach. Dissolve rust with a reducing agent or mechanically clean (steel wool or plastic wire sponge). Dissolve residue paraffin or other gunk with a gunk solvent. Lubricate with a quality oil or grease, whichever is appropriate. It would be prudent to clean after each process. Like SteveH says WD 40 and other products my be needed, but assure it is gone prior to lubrication. Some have indicated maybe the solvent in TF evaporates leaving the Teflon to coat. If the solvent evaporates it also leaves the gunk it's supposed to dissolve, but, maybe chemically changed into something inert. Not sure. So, I use solvent and wipe clean to assure gunk is gone. It may take more than one application-cleaning cycle to rid of gunk.

What I have deduced from this excellent thread is Tri Flo is a triple threat (shotgun) - rust remover, solvent and lubricant. If it works as most state, it's the perfect product. May be.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
Right, but soybeans are quite different than Teflon.
This just replaces the petroleum oil portion with soybean oil. The PTFE (Teflon) and other goodies are still there

Please remember that petroleum is also a biodegradable material. All bio-organic materials (SM oil as well) has a scent. We have just become accustomed to SM oil smelling like "good".
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
This just replaces the petroleum oil portion with soybean oil. The PTFE (Teflon) and other goodies are still there

Please remember that petroleum is also a biodegradable material. All bio-organic materials (SM oil as well) has a scent. We have just become accustomed to SM oil smelling like "good".
I had assumed the Teflon was not in this formulation. I'll let others be the guinea pigs with this one. LOL.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH

For some reason I had it in my head that this was a synthetic oil... it's the grease that's synthetic, right?

Yes, SM oil has a scent, and Off SM oil is pretty bad, but I would rather that smell to the various plant based oils in the kitchen when they go off. *shudders* Triflow has its own interesting scent too. Way different than the Zoom spout stuff. I've heard it described as a stale urine scent (http://www.mec.ca/product/1899-129/t...tTab=2#reviews), but it has a sweet smell to it to me. Someone else said cooking bananas... I could believe that.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
Triflow has its own interesting scent too.
Yes it does: I don't mind it at all. It's the scent of protection