The Lowly 192K Spartan

Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Smile The Lowly 192K Spartan

To assure a 192K (black Spartan) avoided the landfill, I made a minimum bid on an "untested, selling for parts" machine. It arrived with the little plastic base broke to smithereens and the motor askew. Obviously it had been abused in transit. Upon energizing, nothing happened. I put it asside for a later task and most likely for a learning throw-away machine. Yesterday the Tri-Flow thread prompted me to do some cleaning. The Spartan was outed to be the victim. The first chore, getting power to motor, was easy. Upon opening the motor I found a crimped wire had become separated (amazing someone didn't get sparked but the live wire hadn't made contact with anything). Soldering and shrink wrap corrected that. While off the machine, I straightened the motor bracket.

There was no rust but the lint and gunk was present as we all have seen. Not terrible, but it needed cleaning. Being a learning outing, I used Tri-Flo and was pleasantly surprised. It did everything others said it would. One probably can see where this is headed.

I cleaned and adjusted everything and as I was doing this I became aware of the pristine condition the machine was displaying. What had started out as a "for parts only" is a very nice sewing machine. As if I needed another. This model has the "Back Tack" feature so I may use it as my pretend feather weight. It is relative light in comparison to the 15 or 201 or even the 99. It is small. The first sewing absolutely amazed me. Without even fine tuning the tensions, it sews a tight beautiful stitch. I may have to do some fiddling with the feed dogs or foot pressure as the stitch length appears sporadic. I think I will find a case, if there is one available that will accept the little jewel, and, as I say, use it as my feather weight.

I'm just so pleased with myself and happy with the outcome, I had to tell someone. You folks are good listeners so you get the verbiage. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Vridar; 10-04-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM

Now can we see a picture? Would like to see this little gem.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Had difficult time posting a picture to original post. Resized it and I think it will view now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439705[/ATTACH]
Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM

says invalid, I too have a spartan that had the bottom broken. Bought off ebay. contacted the seller and he had me send pictures of my spartan and it ended up I got my money back and was able to keep the machine as he had taken out insurance. I believe he has done that before so he is not out any money and collected big on the machine. She is a nice little machine. I am on the lookout for the pedal and power cord for a new 301a that I purchased w/o a power cord thinking I had one that would fit. Machine not here yet, but I think it takes the 3 prong plug end.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
says invalid, I too have a spartan that had the bottom broken. Bought off ebay. contacted the seller and he had me send pictures of my spartan and it ended up I got my money back and was able to keep the machine as he had taken out insurance. I believe he has done that before so he is not out any money and collected big on the machine. She is a nice little machine. I am on the lookout for the pedal and power cord for a new 301a that I purchased w/o a power cord thinking I had one that would fit. Machine not here yet, but I think it takes the 3 prong plug end.
Amyjo; The 301 does take the 3-prong cord. Don't have any spares as some of my machines share cord but it does take the 3 pronged one.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Default Photo Posting Retry

Let's see if this works. About the time I feel I've figured out posting pictures, I find it's not so.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439827[/ATTACH]
The preview indicates it's posted. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails img_0052.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 04:57 PM

That's a great looking little machine. You did a nice job cleaning her up. Parts only? I think not.

I guess I should quit looking T the vintage machine posts. I'm getting the fever.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Golllleeee. That is a beauty. And look at the room to quilt on it! It is a good looking machine. You did good!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 PM

She is a beauty!