Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter - which one >

Rotary cutter - which one

Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 AM

I've got Olfa cutters all over the place, however, my Favorite is the ego one from Martelli. Since I'm right handed I've got the red handle one, they make one for 'lefties' also, I think the handle is black.

My chiropractor and friend started using one and she now swears by them. I notice the difference on my wrist not being sore. They are a bit pricey but worth it. I don't know if you can get them at JoAnns with a coupon or not.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I have the one you showed and love it WHEN I use titanium blades
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM

I have a 60mm Olfa and the smaller one, too. I like both.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 PM

I also buy blades from lpsharp.com - good service and the price is right!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM

I started with a Fiskers. Then found the Olfa (I have them in all sizes) - the straight ones, not the ergonomic ones. Love these. Have tried the Fons & Porter, not impressed. The Clover is a cheap one and so-so. Off brands are just that - off. Cutting surface, as everyone has stated prior, is key. You need a hard surface to cut on. (I use my dining room table when I need lots of space).Also, blades can and do make a difference. Change them often. I know some folks have bought blades at Harbor Freight and love them. I thought they were miserable as I could never get a sharp enough one.

One last thought - what is your cutting posture like? Do you sit or stand when you cut? If you are sitting, try standing up. I have a small cutting mat at my machine and have set my chair height so I can cut without too much strain or having to "push" too hard on the rotary cutter. Try different positions, this may also help.

Good luck!

Anita
Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM

I had an original Olfa 25 years ago and cut myself, therefore I learned to be more careful. However, when the Olfa Ergonomic cutters came out - I bought the 45 and 60 sizes and love both.

For some reason, I have a problem with the Martellis, but have heard others that love them.

I think you need to try them at a show or at a LQS, if possible, to see which one you prefer.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:35 PM

I just use Olfa with the straight handle. Been using it since 1993 (no kidding). I have tried other ones at quilting nights, but it is what works best for me.

Nothing wrong with the Fiskars, but you will find that people prefer different cutters depending on their dexterity or other issues. Definitely, your problem is that you are using an ironing board. Never going to work.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 PM

I have that rotary cutter and it is one of my favorites. I cannot imagine cutting with scissors. Cutting with a rotary cutter was awkward when I first started quilting. But well worth it now.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM

I have an olfa and a fiskers. I really can't tell much difference between the two brands.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM

I have Martelli & Olfa. Love the way they work