Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG) >
  • Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG)

• Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG)

Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM

Miscalculation is a miscalculation and someone is going to pay for it.
    It was a simple process ... recount the fabric and find out which of you was correct.
    It sounds as though this clerk thought you were arguing the price of the fabric, versus the real issue of how much fabric did you REALLY buy?

I DEFINITELY would have said something - - ESPECIALLY to the owner of the LQS ... after all, that clerk's miscalculation will cost the bottom line MORE than it will ever add.
    At least, if you bring this matter to the owner, then depending on that response - - that would make up my mind about whether I would ever go in that shop again.
    Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 PM

the owners idiot son should realize that one unhappy customer gives the word out to at least 20 friends. no one likes to be ripped off and that is just what he did. i'd of refused to pay the extra $6 and if he argued i'd ask to speak to the owner him/herself. if the owner was not on the premises and did not wish to come to sort it out quickly i'd advise that not only would i not return as a customer i would surely tell lots of my friends and my guild too for that matter.
    doesnt matter whether you belong to a guild or not. could be just that info might make both of them think twice before trying that again.
    cutting one yard or 1/8th or 1/6th a yard takes as long. he did not say you had to pay extra for that nor did he explain it well at the till. he was wrong, you were completely correct.
    if there was no apology and they refused to fix the charge and/or refund the $6 if you'd already paid it, i'd of left without paying and without the 1/6th yards cuts and never return to the shop again.
    their loss by you and many other customers i'm sure.
    we quilters stick together when it comes to good service when we buy our stash.
    take no prisoners.
    actually, i think i'd eturn and sort out the problem once and for all.
    might pay to call the owner first advising him you have a problem that he needs to be there for and when would be a good time to do that.
    just my $6 worth of advice.
    good luck if you do return. take a strong quilting friend with you if you have any reservations, if only for moral support.
    Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 AM

I would say something because it is my money and a store needs to keep their customers happy if they want repeat business. Since he got defensive and (sounds like) argumentive, I would talk to the store manager or owner.
    Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 AM

I think that the guy was probably embarrased by his mistake which was obviously his calculations. Rather then the the golden rule of customer satisfaction, he gave you an argument.
    I think you were right to bring it to his attention. I not only find this a problem in quilt shops etc, but grocery stores is another. They have a shelf price, but, it is not rung up at the shelf price. You have to be very careful these days.
    I was in sales for awhile, and taught on those old bang cash registers and you had to know how to add and subtract change, and the one main thing I learned, is 'The customer is always right"
    I like the others would keep the reciept and all the material in the bag and go back and request to see the manager, and explain to him/her. If you do not get satisfaction, I would be wary of shopping with them again.
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 AM

Absolutly not. I would have done just as you did. I am sorry but to me $6 is a lot of money to be over charged. You could have bought something else with that $6. Sound like the young man needs a lesson in customer service and math. I would bring this to the owners attention as well. If we are going to pay the higher prices then we do not need to be overcharged for any reason.
    chamby
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 AM

I agree with your dismay, if he was charging you extra for the cuts he should have told you in the beginning.

I so enjoy quilting and supporting my local quilt shops. However I have a gripe of my own. I have found that some of the local quilt shop owners in my area will not tell visitors to our area that there are more than their quilt shop i.e they are the only one. Also I was traveling in TN stopped at a quilt shop to look around found a bolt of fabric that I liked, asked the sales lady how much the fabric was, her response was "I don't know it's a new bolt and my boss is out sick today, she told me she would be back in the next day" I told the sales lady that I was just passing through, lived out of state 7 hours away, I asked her if I could possibly get the lot number off the bolt to see if my local quilt shop could order it for me, she looked at me as i I was from mars, and said the owner would be in tomorrow and they could ship the fabric to me. I chose not to do so and left without buying any of the other items I was going to purchase.
    Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 AM

I wouldn't have kept my mouth shut, if he/they insisted on overcharging me, I would have said, fine, I don't want the fabric and you have now lost a customer and I will inform my friends what you have done.
    Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM

It sounds to me like you behaved in a calm manner. Certainly more professionally than he did. I don't get it. Aren't they in the business of selling fabric? I don't understand what difference it makes how much fabric a person wants off each bolt. I've seen that most (if not all) of the online stores sell in 1/8 yd. increments. I can't say about my LQ, as I've only bought fabric there once and it was for a class I was going to take there. Anyway, I certainly think it should be brought to the Owner's attention. And there is no reason for you to feel bad about it. It wasn't your mistake.
    Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM

He was in the wrong on several counts.

It doesn't make any difference if you were buying 6 inches or 6 yards, a measurement of fabric is exactly what it is.

I have NEVER seen a LQs that would even indicate they would not cut small segments from 20 bolts if that is what the customer wants. Obviously he has never worked at the shop during a shop hop.

Also, since you had several bolts with the same cut amount, he could have stacked three or four bolts at a time and made one cut for all three or four bolts. (I volunteer at our local shop during shop hop). We get bus loads at a time and have to work quickly to serve our customers. Since these gals are visiting so many shops, they always ask for small amounts from each bolt. What the customer wants, is what they get.

The price of the fabric , discount or not, should NEVER have left is mouth.
    Owner's son or not, the owner needs to know and to refund your money or give you store credit for something you need.

Her son needs to attend salesmanship 101. You should not feel bad in any way, in fact, I would not have left the store until HE corrected the problem and refunded the money that he LITERALLY TOOK from you.

If you need a good lqs on line store name....my lqs is going online this month with hundreds of brand name high quality fabrics priced at $4.99 all of the time. I purchased Micahel Miller and Kaffe Fassett at another shop at $9.50 yd, and then dropped by her store only to find it at $4.99.
    As soon as the store is set up for her online retail, I can let everyone know if you like.
    Diana in Texas

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 AM

It is obvious that the clerk merely transposed the numbers on the ticket and then was embarrassed when it was pointed out. In these days of blaming everything on someone/something else I am not surprised at the reaction, but you should definitely bring it up to the owner. Parent can deal with child in whatever manner he sees fit, but the customer is his livelihood and he needs to know what is happening.
    Having run a business and caught clerks stealing from the till, it is never comfortable firing someone, but sometimes it is necessary, even if they are family.