Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG) >

Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG)

Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG)

Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 AM

if it was an honest mistake I believe he was embarressed (after all, he's a man for crying out loud! and you had the nerve to point it out, ) okay that was rude and I apologize to those men who do not have that attitude, he's the owner's son, how dare you point out a mistake!
OR, he did it on purpose and was embarressed to have gotten caught, again, how dare you!
If you have some other place you can shop I say "give 'em hell" if you don't then just make sure you keep a keen eye on your cuts and your bill, if he waits on you again, be sure he notices that you are really watching everything closely.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ethel A
Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664
I think you did the right thing. Personally I would bring it up to the Owner of the store, or at the very least the Manager. Could HE be pocketing the extra money? I would appreciate a customer letting me know there is a problem with one of employees. They are not there to argue with my customers or give them a hard time.

Personally, I would want to know. IMHO
I would like to say something to the owner, but the person who was helping me today is the owner's son.

Now, what do I do? Should I say something to the owner? This is a really 'sticky' issue.
It's the owner's son? That's an even bigger reason to say something. I'd bet that the son would learn some real lessons in customer service that afternoon. :lol:
Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 AM

I have never heard of a store that limiting the number of fabric cuts (Size yes, fabrics no). If I spent the time picking out 10 bolts of fabric and they tell me they will only cut 6, I buy 0!
I would go talk to the owner. I agree with taking it back if you haven't cut it. If they don't give you a refund for the overcharge, demand a refund for all of it.
If you don't follow through on this, you will have bad feelings everytime you look at the fabric.
I agree with the others, he made a mistake and didn't want to admit to it.
I bet it gets fixed. Custumer service is what makes a business.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:39 AM

I can't imagine someone doing that and getting away ith it.
I have a second job in a fabric store, and we have a 20 cm minimum. The only rule we have is that we will not make several cuts of the same fabric, like if the customer wants 6 strips of 30cm of the same fabric, we will cut one 1.8 m chunk, and the customer is responsable for the rest, we're not going to do their work for them.

I had a lady come in last week and buy 40cm of each of the colours in our broadcloth (26 colours, I think), and when I was almost done, she decided she didn't have enough and asked for another 40cm cut of each, so I basically cut 52 pieces of fabric for her. There were people in line, I didn't make a stink about it, didn't charge extra because there were so many, and small pieces at that. She was charged the price on the bolt and that was that.
I think the guy who served you was way out of line, and I would not hesitate to politely bring it to the owner's attention if I were in your place.
Mistakes happen, but he should have owned up to it, at least offered you a 2/3 of some other fabric.

Also, I meant to ask, if you had two fabrics that were cheaper than the rest, wouldn't he have added them up seperately? Did he charge you an extra 2/3 of regular priced fabric, or discounted fabric? Not that it makes a difference, but his argument doesn't hold water.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 AM

I wouldn't start telling anyone else about it (like at a quilt guild meeting) until I had tactfully mentioned the matter to the owner of the shop and given her an opportunity to make it right. I would do it tactfully because this is her son and we are all sensitive about our children, even in business settings.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I think maybe sending a brief note explaing what happened to the attention of the owner or manager. Also ask that you receive some kind of response so that "you" know the owner/manager is aware of what happened, just in case the "employee" intercepts the note. If you receive no response I would look for another place to spend my hard earned money. I have had mistakes happen at my LQS and they always correct them immediately , with smiles and apologies . Everyone makes mistakes it is how you handle them that is more important :wink:
Sharon
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
HMK

Originally Posted by Ninnie
It always shocked me how many young people would come in our store and couldn't count change,.
When I was working in a retail store, I heard this from the customers about the young folks - just as a general comment. The truth was, that they were great at counting back the change - it was this ol' gal who had the trouble counting back change and I would panic if the register was out of order - I truly relied on it to let me know the change to give back.

I have always been Math challenged and it reflects in my quilting, too. Working with percentages is also a challenge for me and thank heaven's we're on the metric system. If I made an error and the customer pointed out the mistake, I would sometimes be light humoured about it and apologize and make it right - they always left with a smile.

That's not to say what this young fella did was right - it wasn't. He should have corrected his error and apologized. It should be brought to the owner's attention.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

The owner put the son there knowing his skill and work ethic. I'd never believe the parent wouldn't know his limitations. I would tell the owner about the situation in private. The reaction of the owner would be the decision if I would ever spend another penny there.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
I wouldn't start telling anyone else about it (like at a quilt guild meeting) until I had tactfully mentioned the matter to the owner of the shop and given her an opportunity to make it right. I would do it tactfully because this is her son and we are all sensitive about our children, even in business settings.
No......I am not like that. I wasn't planning to tell anyone about it at all, since I think this matter is between me, the sales associate and the owner. I wouldn't share this kind of information with guild members unless they asked me specifically about my shopping experience at that store; and even then, I would be tactful about the words I choose. I tend to think I have some amount of 'class' and wouldn't just rip a store's reputation just to be spiteful.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM

I agree - and I would do it in person - it's too easy for the WRITTEN word to be misunderstood. In person, you see the other person's reaction, and there's some give and take. You'll know if s/he is susrprised about what happened and genuinely sorry.