Is Anybody Else Cold!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I went to Sam's the other day and purchased a couple large bags of the long grain rice that takes forever to cook. I sewed a bunch of small scraps together and made warmers for the dogs bed and our bed. Tossed them into the microwave and pulled the sheets back around the foot area. Laid out like coils. Dogs are happy and our feet were toasty warm. Add body heat and they kept the bed warm through the night. We have space heaters because I hate the way the furnace smells every time we turn it on. It's a wall heater (50s house). It is a small house so doesn't take much to heat it up. We do turn them off when we leave though. I use a space heater in the sewing room if it's too cold. Turn it on and shut the door in the morning when I get up. Hour or so later it's comfy. Did not realize yesterday my Brutus snuck in when I turned on the space heater. Scared me half out of my wits when I found him behind a basket on some rugs. But DH really likes the rice packs for hot compresses. Have made some draft dodgers with scraps also. I use the cardboard rolls from the different wax paper, foil rolls and so forth to help fill.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 AM

I use a little space heater it is electric and it works good
Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM

We are "suppose" to get snow this weekend, finally! We have had no rain and only a dusting of snow this season, we have been around 60 every day, though I love the weather as I can walk and get out everyday, boy we need the snow/rain....I feel so bad for every one being affected by the cold back east.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
How is everyone coping with the cold and snow? I would like to quilt but my room so cold that I end up trying to find something else to do but so far can't find another interim hobby as interesting. I am really getting frustrated. Suggestions?
I am in Illinois just south of Chicago. It is up in the 20s today, but we have had some really cold and snowy days for the past few weeks. Schools and businesses down for two days last week and this week also with temps around 0 or less and huge wind chill factors. I layer up and use a small ceramic heater when I get really cold. My sewing room is upstairs with no heat vents (house built in 1905), so have to use an electric heater if I want to be there.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM

I lived in Florida for 30 years before moving up to Iowa. So far these past 4 winters have not been as bad as I thought they would be.....including this one which has been a hum dinger with the cold temps. My sewing room is in the basement and only one side of it has a heat source. Silly me put all the machines on the cold side so by 4 PM it starts to get really chilly down here. My house is 114 years old this year but I have what they call baseboard heating, water going thru the pipes and I have a thermostat on every floor so I can regulate them accordingly. I basically live in a long john top, men's flannel shirt and sweat pants during the winter but no socks as my feet get too hot otherwise. I was always cold down in Florida but up here I don't seem to have that problem...GO FIGURE!!!!

Good thing is when its cold outside I can stay indoors and play. I have a neighbor that likes to snowblow the entire block's walks early in the morning right including the walk up to the house so that leaves only the driveway for me to do. Can't get any better than that.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Not laughing at all. I'm from the school of 'whatever works' and doesn't break the bank, so bubble wrap sounds good to me!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM

My sewing room is very cold, about 54 degrees today. Since the colder weather I've spent very little time in there. Instead I'm doing hand work embroidery. There's tons of free patterns out there on the net. Once this cold snap ends I'll make them into a quilt. So far I've managed to do about a block a day. I finished block nine just before reading this post.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Up to 29 degrees here in NY today.....I felt so warm went out without my gloves on...too funny!!!!! So cold here we are ex static about visiting my son next week in seattle with temps of mid 50's.......
Old 01-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Wrap up in one that you've made and get started, once you start then you'll forget you're cold.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM

You are all the greatest!! Am so glad to hear that I am not the only one freezing. I have thought of putting more clothes on and guess that is the answer. However, when I add a couple of sweaters, I have problems controlling the machine as extra bulk gets in the way (At least that I my excuse.) Praying for an early spring.