Is Anybody Else Cold!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Talking Is Anybody Else Cold!

How is everyone coping with the cold and snow? I would like to quilt but my room so cold that I end up trying to find something else to do but so far can't find another interim hobby as interesting. I am really getting frustrated. Suggestions?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Wondering if you can get one of those oil filled electric radiators and close the door to your room? We do that in our bathroom. You would have to have enough space around it so as not to burn yourself or have your fabric touch it.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM

I live in a 200 year old house in Vermont, so cold is a very familiar part of our life. My sewing machine is in a relatively warm room, but the sitdown Sweet 16 quilting machine is in a cold part of the kitchen. If I'm motivated enough to quilt, I just wear heavy pants and a couple of shirt/sweater layers and try not to think about it. One thing that makes my sewing/living room more comfortable is a small electric heater that looks like a small woodstove. I got it at Home Depot for about $100 and for a few evening hours it makes the sewing room much cozier. I need to put the binding on two quilts I just quilted and usually I handsew the binding to the back. This covers my lap and keeps my legs warm, but this time I'm going to use a new technique to machine sew a double-color binding. Fortunately, I have plenty of quilts and throws around to keep me warm when I'm sitting down.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM

My sewing room is in the basement and with this sub zero weather it takes to much to heat it. Since I've been down with shingles my husband brought my machines up and set me up in the dining room. I can only sew for a little at a time before pain takes over so I don't feel bad since I'm not heating the extra room! I hate te mess but oh well...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM

I've been wearing long underwear and sweats and a sweater on top of that .... just trying to keep warm. I find that if I get up and move around every 15 minutes or so, I can kinda' keep warm. I'm so looking forward to spring!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM

I'm in Wisconsin so yep, its cold. I layer.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Cold here too. The sewing room is fine, but my long arm is set up at my husbands shop. It's not heated very well, and hubby is cheap so he keeps the heat turned down. I've not been near my long arm since December!!

We have a very large family room which was added on to the house at a later date and they didn't put in enough heat vents. We run a large ceramic heater in that room.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Winter is a great time to have a hand quilting project. It is too hot in the summer to have a quilt in your lap but it sounds good right now.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM

Born and raised in the Mid West, traveled to Alaska with dh and then to Texas where it was tooooo hot. I will take the cold weather of Mid West hands down. Dress in layers, long thermal underwear, cashmere sweaters, long sleeves to keep warm, cordory pants or cashmere slacks, double up on socks.

We live in a newer, all electric home that fails to keep us warm as the wind cuts through the house, and we lose heat through the doors and windows. We installed a propane gas heater in the main living area, use small space heaters in our bedrooms and sewing room. All are turned off at night, since they are not vented heating systems. I love cool weather, and I love snow. No, I am retired and I do not go out into the elements on a daily basis, I stay inside, cozy and warm. Comfort is first and foremost, each to their own. Dh is diabetic and must have warm feet...a great friend on QB sent him a 'hog warming pad' that keeps his feet cozy in his room at his computer. We cope very well with the cold.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Well in this topsy-turvy world of ours....we are going through the opposite. We have had some pretty hot weather here....and not much respite. Thinking of you all and hoping you are staying cosy and safe.