Is Anybody Else Cold!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 AM

Why not try one of those flower pot candle fueled heaters? You can buy them ready made or make one yourself. There are lots of instructions on youtube.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 AM

I have used one of the oil-filled radiator heaters for 5 or 6 yrs. However, this yr. it started to show burn marks & peeling paint betwin the fins as well as truning a scortched borwn all over. I purchased a new one in Nov. & it started leaking & showing burn marks at the top between the fins. If your using these type heaters, do not leave them on when leaving the house or sleeping. Read the many reviews on Amazon regarding oil leaking & catching on fire.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 AM

Have lived in Illinois all my life...hating winter every year, but too chicken to move........anyway, thank God I am able to keep my thermostat at 70 day and night.....I could not wear all those clothes to keep warm......my theory is if you cannot be comfortable in your own home, where then? Do have auxiliary heater in downstairs family room, but have only turned that on for three of these horrid -0 days we have been experiencing....BUT good news going to warm up to +10 today...get out the flip-flops and sunglasses! Seriously now thinking of moving south!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 AM

I made a cover for my heating pad that will keep it on my shoulders ( which would warm you), or put it on your lap, or get a small space heater - they run as inexpensive as $20. Just be sure it's not up against anything and get the kind that shuts off if it's tipped over. Put a quilt over your lap as you sew. I find that my overhead lights generate heat, as does my iron. Certainly not enough to warm a room, but I have been known to press fabric just to warm up my hands!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 AM

My sewing room is the coldest room in my house. The only time it is warm during winter is when my DD comes home for a visit. It is about 45-50 degrees F right now, I bet.

I hate to turn on the heat in that whole half of the house just for me (another big old farmhouse here, insulated with corncobs and the dead mice that tried to eat them back in 1800!) so I use a little ceramic space heater which has an automatic shutoff if it reaches temperature.

Still cold! Best activity in cold weather - sit at the machine and quilt a big heavy quilt - I can wrap it around my lap or over my shoulder part of the time!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I've been wearing long underwear and sweats and a sweater on top of that .... just trying to keep warm. I find that if I get up and move around every 15 minutes or so, I can kinda' keep warm. I'm so looking forward to spring!
I am doing the same. Propane costs have sky-rocketed to $5.00 from $2.40. So we are burning wood in our wood burning stove. It heats up the 1st floor just fine but my sewing room is in the basement. Been dressing warmer and using an electric heater. Sometimes my hands get so cold I have to take a break. The good thing is, it takes many more calories to stay warm. I just keep that in mind as I am trying to lose weight.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 AM

It's also cold down here in North Florida, everything is covered in ice, temps in the 20's, until Friday. Glad I kept my Triple Fat Goose jacket I had in Alaska it has come in very handy this winter. January has been a cold month down here & my sewing room is not the warmest part of our house so I use a electric heater to take the chill off.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 AM

We had -17 degrees -45 degrees yesterday windchill. Today it is -2. High of +20 and lots of sunshine. We are in a heat wave for a few days and should start snowing tonight through tomorrow and Friday and back into the minus Saturday and next week. Whoop-dee-doo. I haven't even gotten out to shovel drifts to get back to the garage. Plus doggie deposits. Actually, it is either me freeze today and get the stuff up or wait until next spring and wait for the worst part of the whole year, cleaning all that stuff up!!!!!! TV and radio tells us to dress appropriately! We know how to dress!!!!! Nanook of the North clothes!!!!!! Enjoy the day! Actually, our Minnesota sky is so beautiful with the super cold weather. It almost makes it worth it. You never see that color anywhere. It puts the color "sky-blue" to shame.

Edie
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 AM

It is cold here in the mountains of Arizona but no snow and we need it bad.
I bought a round electric heater at Costco for fifty nine dollars and it is worth it. My cat lays in front of it all the time.
It is great for my sewing room and by my chair when watching tv or reading in living room.
Keep my forced air heater at 60 degrees since propane is expensive to use.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 AM

It's been a lot colder in Maine this year too but don't mind it, except for the heating bills. Just wish we had more snow for snowshoeing and snowmobiling. I love warm clothes and using my flannel backed quilts. No Mosquitos, or black flies or snakes.