Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew/quilt every day? >

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 AM

I sew mostly in the evenings. When the colder seasons are here and I cannot work outside in my yard - I will spend most of the weekend sewing......sometimes way into the night hours.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 AM

I have a different problem. I have make a schedule to do normal household tasks. If I get to the sewing room first, all these tasks get put off until 'tomorrow'. So, each day I have self assigned tasks to do before I sew. Otherwise, I sew until tired and then for sure these tasks don't get done. I have to listen to my body clock or I create dilemmas for myself. I would sew all day every day if I had the chance. I guess self discipline is essential.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:19 PM

EVERY DAY....because I can!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:29 PM

What has worked for me is a TV in my sewing room. I love having old re-runs on in the sewing room.I get in there and sew during my favorite shows. I probably spend 6 hours a day in my sewing room. I make really fine doll clothes and sell them on Etsy and I always have a quilt in progress. I am also retired and I am having the time of my life
Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM

To answer the question yes, every day. I too am retired , and usually get the house work done in the AM, then up to the sewing room to have fun. I would probably get more quilting/embroidering done if this board wasn't so interesting to read. Have learned so much, from all of you and the best part ......it's free <3<3<3
Old 09-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I have something by my machine ready to sew all the time. If I get a few minutes between doing or waiting on things I will sit down and sew, even if it is only 15 minutes. I can piece a lot of HSTs or 2.5" sqs in that time. I will spend a Sat. or Sun. afternoon preparing a sewing session, starch, press and cut a few blocks so they are ready to piece at any time.

I am fortunate to have a dedicated space for my sewing. Being able to leave things ready to go is such a treat. There was a time I sewed on the kitchen table and had to move things for multiple table uses (like eating). I wanted to keep things organized and easy to move so I used trays similar to old cafeteria trays and worked off of them. It kept everything in place and organized. I think this is when I started cutting and sewing a block at a time.
peace
Old 09-20-2016, 04:27 PM

I work full time but get up at 5am so I have a chance to quilt every day before work. I also squeeze a 30 minute walk in after quilting before my shower each morning.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:30 PM

I don't have a schedule. I'm retired and I set my goal for the day to include my chores and stitching. Then switch off on either one as I like. I don't sew or do housework on Sunday.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 PM

I'm also retired and don't set a schedule, but sew most days--I find that I mentally set "done" dates for projects and work toward that self-imposed deadline (except for customer quilts on the LA--those I actually do aim for the promised dated or before). But if I don't meet my own deadline on my stuff it's not a big deal--except when I'm working on Christmas presents!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 AM

Looking forward to semi retiring so I can sew more. My husband and I own two retail businesses and 60 rental properties plus a summer business. Needless to say, I have hardly spent any time with my machine since May and am looking forward to October. I usually get up early to sew an hour or two before I go to work.