Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew/quilt every day? >

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Old 09-20-2016, 04:17 AM

I have been sewing/quilting/crafting almost every day since I retired at the end of the school year and loving it! No schedule, but I have started making some lists of things I would like to accomplish as I keep getting distracted with new ideas I find here and other places online! I retired mainly due to health issues- breathing problems due to pulmonay fibrosis- and I refer to my quilting and other projects as my therapy! (I reconnected with my crafty side during my medical leave last year and I credit all my projects-even bought a loom to start weaving!- with keeping me from going insane and helping me regain enough strength to return to work to finish out the school year.)
I'm not able to do as much housework as I need (my wonderful DH has taken over many of these chores!) but it does free up a lot of time for sewing/quilting projects. Some days I don't make it upstairs to the sewing room, but I keep a lot of hand sewing projects like EPP and cross-stitch downstairs so I can sit and stitch.
Carol
Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 AM

I'm disabled and if I don't have a routine I don't accomplish anything. The craft room is at the hot end of the house so I work in there first thing in the morning anywhere from 10 minutes practicing my fmq'ing or a couple of hours trying to finish up something.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:33 AM

I'm retired and newly remarried in the last 6 months. My husbands house hasn't been changed in 30 years, so I'm stripping wallpaper and painting. When all this is over it will be winter and I can sew everyday, knowing that the house is fresh and clean and in order once again.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 AM

I try to sew every day, not always possibe, of course. I usually am in my sewing room about 1 to 4 every afternoon. Sundays I don't sew because of church attendance .
Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 AM

When I retired from my office job, I found that it took me several weeks before the realization hit me that I was able to do what I wanted when I wanted to and settled down to do it. Now that I have a customer base built up I'm up at 5:30 a.m. take care of house work and outside chores before I head to the studio by 10:00; break at 11:30 to fix lunch for husband, back in studio by 1:00 playing (I mean working) until time to fix dinner or go to a grandchild's ballgame. If no ballgame, I will head back to the studio around 7 p.m to work on a customer's quilt. At 9:00 p.m. I break from customer's quilts and will sit down to work on piecing something for me. So, yes, I guess I do quilt on a schedule. This is pretty much my schedule 5 days a week. I try to stay out of the studio on Saturdays and Sundays, but sometimes I can't resist the pull that these projects have on me.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:55 AM

Default Do you sew/quilt every day?

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I try to sew every day, not always possibe, of course. I usually am in my sewing room about 1 to 4 every afternoon. Sundays I don't sew because of church attendance .
I wish my life was a little slower, or I was more discipline with my time. I enjoy sewing, but I'm the type I have to have all my chores done before I can sit down at the sewing machine and sew, if not it worries me and I can't get anything done. I envy the people that can just go sew and not worry about meals, laundry, cleaning etc. Needless to say I don't sew as often as I would like to because I never seem to get everything done on my list for the day.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:12 AM

I love to start my mornings sewing. Due to health concerns, I sew for 15-20 minutes, go do some chores, then back to machine. I do this for several hours.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:16 AM

My job that I loved was eliminated due to budget cuts, and ironically I got the best appraisal evaluation ever. But like my boss said, it was strictly due to budget cuts - I went out in a blaze of glory and am proud of my work! So, being I am old enough to retire, I'm newly retired and adjusting in so many ways. My husband is already retired, been busy recovering from foot problems and helping my husband with his health issues. Now as far as quilting and projects, I don't have a set schedule so far. I do my foot exercises every morning and walk at least 20-30 minutes a day, except on Tuesdays I don't walk and go to tap classes. I am getting a lot of stuff done at home that I wasn't able to do when I worked full time: cleaning out closets, bringing stuff to Goodwill for donations, and, of course, the every day responsibility of paying bills, chores, errands, etc. My husband enjoys going to quilt shops with me, he likes to go for the drive, so that is fun. I would like to finish a quilt I started and try to quilt more. People retired tell me it takes a while to relax and adjust, so I guess I'm trying to take it one day at a time.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:17 AM

If we aren't traveling or having company I try and sew every day. Somedays an hour or two................others, most of the day. Depends on my mood and my current project.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:39 AM

I have such a mess in my sewing room because of moving into a smaller home that I can't sew right now. My goal for today is to finish it and then I can sew all day if I want. Wish me luck. lol