Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew/quilt every day? >

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 PM

I work full time with a 45 min commute each way, so I don't sew everyday. I try to sew three to four hours on Sunday and a couple on Saturday if at all possible.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Now that I've returned to quilting, I find that I'm spending about 2-5 hours on five days a week at the machine or doing design work on the computer. I've discovered that the new office chair I bought when I moved from the farm a year+ ago is not so comfortable after all as I feel like the front edge of the seat is tilted lower than the back. It makes my back tired quickly as I brace myself to avoid sliding forward out of the seat. Not sure how I'll handle this as another chair purchase isn't in the budget. Thinking on it.

Jan in VA
Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Another retiree here, who "plays with fabric" nearly every morning. I don't allow myself to read anything but the newspaper before lunch (or I may get hooked on a mystery novel). This morning I took a stack of squares with me to a Medicare presentation, and folded them in half for a mug rug project while listening attentively to the presenter!
You might try "scheduling" a quilting time for yourself daily, or every other day maybe.
Do you work better if you set yourself a deadline or a goal? My goal from now to next June is to sew up 12 yards per month, finished and out of my stash, whether quilts or something else, or deny myself the pleasure of going to a major fabric recycling sale then.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** No schedule, quilt when ever I want for as long as I want.
*** Sometime not at all.
This is me too. I can sew everyday and then go months without sewing as well. I just do it when I want. I have been better about it lately.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:01 PM

I started quilting about 2 years ago (shortly after I retired). Most weeks I was cutting and sewing 5 hours a day, 3-4 days a week. Then in July, 2015, "life got in the way" (Mother fell, broke her neck) and I was only able to finish 1 baby quilt. There just hasn't been a span of time to sit and sew so I've just recently started doing some hand embroidery on a panel (a couple hours a night) trying to get my motivation to quilt back. I do miss it.

I suggest planning ahead your week of "must dos" and find at least 1 or 2 days for sewing at least 3 hrs each day. I know some people can sit down and sew for 30 minutes ... that's just not me. I need several hours to feel like I've accomplished something. Ha.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 AM

Quilting/sewing is something I do because I enjoy it, not because a schedule says I have to do it.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:05 AM

I'm a full time mom of school age children (ages 13 and 15.) I thought I'd be sewing up a storm, but I'm not.The last one gets on the bus at 8:00 and the oldest gets home at 2:30. You'd think I could get a lot done in between, but there are always errands, house work and meals to plan. Not to mention, volunteering at school, church and bible study. Oh, and I spend too much time on the computer. I need to schedule sewing time. Especially now that I'm purchasing a Gammill Charm from a friend. I need to get some quilts done.

I do English Paper Piece every evening, so I guess that counts for something.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:52 AM

I sew or at least go out to my sewing room every day. I don't seem to get as much done as I wish I could. I had visions that when I retired I would get all kinds of quilts made, but that hasn't happened yet. I do do enjoy the process though and I'm enjoying just being out among the fabrics and patterns daily.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:02 AM

I am retired also and I spend on average 4-5 hours a day in the sewing room. Monday mornings I either work on pulling a quilt top together or going to a quilting group at a local church to layer tops for the quilting part. Monday afternoons are MahJongg and Thursday mornings I volunteer at my neighborhood elementary school. Sunday mornings are church. Some days I am sewing most of the day and others I am too busy with other things, like cleaning, preparing meals, etc?
Old 09-20-2016, 04:05 AM

I'm also retired so sew when I feel like it. Even though I'm retired from my away from home job, still have responsibilities - a husband, food, a big farmhouse, garden and yard, some volunteer work and grandkids occasionally.
Quilting and reading are my hobbies and do them when I can and want to - life is good.