Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have never sewed a quilt I’m >
  • I have never sewed a quilt I’m

• I have never sewed a quilt I’m

Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 PM

Just remember to press as you go along so your work will lie flat and it will be easier to add the next seam. It will be striking.
    Old 02-09-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dougstermd
    It’s a Missouri Star Quilt company pattern I saw on YouTube. I ordered the digital copy. I cut all of the squares from some Walmart fabric.
    Love that the name of the quilt is "Out of Time"! Hoping you won't be. Also here's a secret tip: Elmer's School Glue washes out. Whaaa? Okay, because it works great at stabilizing fabric so it doesn't pull all out of shape. Jenny Doan has you sew around the edges then cut an X across the square. This puts all the outside edges on the bias and bias stretches badly. So...smoosh some glue into those bias cuts, let it dry, and git 'er done! Then wash and no one is the wiser.
    P.S.
    If anyone asks how you found this out, just say a little birdie told you. Bye, L'il Chickadee
    Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM

I like the idea just not sure I have the patience to wait for “ELMO’s glue” ha ha got that from a foreign exchange student in high school shop class. Everyone from that class still calls it Elmo’s glue.
    I haven’t been back to work on the quilt since Super Bowl Sunday. Good news I get my first full weekend off work since the beginning of the year. I plan to have my quilt top completed on Saturday. Did I mention it’s a three day weekend I might be able to get most of the assembly done
    Old 02-14-2019, 02:30 PM

One more question while I’m here what is the quilt edging called. I think I have seen where you can buy that already prepared. Seems kind of hard to prepare from scratch anybody have a video link? I thinking it’s a lot of precision pressing with a long skinny piece of fabric. I’m not really good with with an ironing board. Every time I do something new it opens my mind to bigger and better Ideas. I have to complete this project before April 3rd preferably by the end of February but I’m a procrastinator and I sometimes perform better with a time crunch.
    Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 PM

I like this method;
    Quick Machine Binding with Flange

But ya need to know how to do a binding before ya can do this method. Give me some time to find the right tutoral on how to do that.

OK, here is an article about a binding. I usually do a French fold binding & that is what the first link is talking about.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-78.html

Here is an index that show a bunch of links to learn about bindings.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/binding-index-b6746.html

Last edited by dublb; 02-14-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    Old 02-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Love the Elmo's glue story! You know, if you haven't run into problems with the bias edges pulling all out of shape you're a way better stitcher than this old lady. One of my first large quilts was for son and daughter-in-laws wedding and I did a Daniella Stout pattern. Starched the fabric half to death and I still had bad words echoing out of my sewing den.
    Edging around the quilt is called binding and yes you can buy it, usually any store with a sewing section has double fold bias tape in a variety of colors. Navy blue shouldn't be hard to find. Can't think of a tutorial right off, try UTube with search for "binding a quilt".
    Or seize the opportunity to go wild and crazy by making your own binding. Don't you still have any old "go to h@ll" shirts from back in the day?
    Okay, now I'm going to be banned from QB, Cheers! L'il Chickadee
    Old 02-14-2019, 06:35 PM

Ha ha I ain’t scared to see what a hemming attachment might do or if I master the iron not this quilt. I have already took on a complicated quilt top it grows too large for my abilities. The complexities of the quilt top are not scary to me. I have worked in manufacturing parts. I didn’t even know what I was making. I haven’t been the perfect quality assurance person on my squares to my blocks. My quilt will be crooked and not perfect.
    Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 PM

Doug, you sound like one confident, competent, and crazy dude! Can't wait to see this crooked quilt you're whipping up. LOL
    Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 PM

It has been fun reading this thread. To add my two cents, you don't need to put a binding on the quilt if you "birth" it. Lay the finished top and the backing right sides together and square it up. Sew a straight line around the edges, leaving an opening of 10" or so, and turn the quilt inside out.
    Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shoofly1
    It has been fun reading this thread. To add my two cents, you don't need to put a binding on the quilt if you "birth" it. Lay the finished top and the backing right sides together and square it up. Sew a straight line around the edges, leaving an opening of 10" or so, and turn the quilt inside out.
    Oh, great! He’s just learning to make a quilt and we tell him to give birth, too! LOL