Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Lyn

#1 I always give them to people that don't quilt therefore they never see all of the mistakes.
#2 I figure if you hold my quilts outside a speeding car window and don't see the mistakes the quilts pass my inspection.

I came to a conclusion this Christmas that I enjoy making quilts but I have never been a perfectionist so my quilts will never look like the beautiful ones in a quilt show. I don't care so I go for hard patterns to challenge myself. Keeps the brain active.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I was reading Harriet Hargrove's 'Machine Quilting' book and became immediately depressed. The intricacy of the quilting in that book is something I don't think I will ever achieve.

Then I started thinking...do I want to be a "master quilter?" I decided I would rather be a cozy quilter than a master quilter. I can be so obsessed about seams and points and lines that I decided if I become too picky it will take the joy right out of it. I like to make quilted things and dolls for gifts and enjoyment and therapy and am considering selling as well, and I want them to look "Nancy Perfect", but I also need to feel happy about the process and the end result.

So, to what standard do you hold your quilting?
I'm with you. I think if I'm going to take the joy out of the process for "perfection" it's just defeating the whole purpose. I do want things to be well done and to look nice, but then it is handmade by a human being. I like good corners and good points, but so what if I do my best and some are still a little ascew. Some days my SID is right on and some days, well... I think, "If they're gonna look at it that closely, so what." Once the recipient curls up in the quilt, I don't think they will worry about the workmanship that much.

I agree with all who say they are a "cozy quilter."
Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 AM

Someone told me that the Amish ladies intentially put in a mistake (block backwards, some piece of material in backwards, etc.) because they believe only God is perfect. I on the other hand don't have to try, I have yet to made a quilt that doesn't have a mistake somewhere. I tries to perfect my hand quilting to make those little bitty stitches and when I got to that point, the arthritis in my hands soon made that impossible. I am satisfied with each quilt as being the best I can and they are all beautiful, especially to the ones I give them to. Enjoy your hobby, don't get in bondage to it.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 AM

Long ago they said that even "perfect" quilters deliberately put a mistake in a quilt, because only God is perfect. I am a cozy quilter, making things to be loved and used. My quilts have given warmth and been turned into tents, doll quilts, picnic quilts, dog blankets, couch cozies, the list is endless.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Although I would love to do it perfectly, I am a semi-beginner at FMQ and am just enjoying the process of learning. What I am doing is taking several of my small wallhangings and tablerunners that I never finished because of the quilting process and have been finishing them. I am starting to see the progress and it is exciting. I took a FMQ class from a wonderful woman from the LA area and I have been hooked on it ever since. I try to practice a little each day but not beat myself up if I miss a day. The fun for me is now in the learning. My father was a perfectionist and I rarely saw him smile or laugh because of it and I don't want to be like that with the thing I love to do most.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 AM

I am fairly new at quilting, but, I love it. I have had and still have many other projects that I like to do and I do like to do them all to the best of my ability. I sometimes am hard on myself, I have found this takes away from my enjoyment. So you might say I am a cozy quilter. I enjoy making quilts, I gift them and I know each and every one has been made with love. I will never be a quilter like some of these shows, but, then again I am ok with that.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I was reading Harriet Hargrove's 'Machine Quilting' book and became immediately depressed. The intricacy of the quilting in that book is something I don't think I will ever achieve.

Then I started thinking...do I want to be a "master quilter?" I decided I would rather be a cozy quilter than a master quilter. I can be so obsessed about seams and points and lines that I decided if I become too picky it will take the joy right out of it. I like to make quilted things and dolls for gifts and enjoyment and therapy and am considering selling as well, and I want them to look "Nancy Perfect", but I also need to feel happy about the process and the end result.

So, to what standard do you hold your quilting?
r t

I always say "finished is better than perfect"! You know, if you look at the close up shots in quilt magazines, you'll see that they aren't perfect, either. Many times there are seams not matched, or points cut off - which is great to see to a regular quilter like me!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM

Quilting and sewing are my hobbies. A hobby is supposed to relax you and be lots of fun. Like any sewer, I try to do my best, but first I must enjoy the time I spend doing it.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 AM

My standard is' if it makes me happy, it's perfect'.
I tend to not attempt perfection in my quilting, still don't sew a straight 1/4 seam after 13 years, all my points are round, and what's this thing they call ' squared up'? I do some machine quilting, Novice is an overstatement for my ability, but, I feel it's good enough; I would much rather hand quilt, and those aren't perfect either.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM

I think the more we quilt, the better we become. I know my first quilt was a disaster, nothing seemed to match up. But my stepmom never noticed anything! Most people won't notice any mistakes. Everytime I make a quilt, it is made with love for that person. That is what I think about while doing it. If I make a little mistake, oh well. Things could be worse. I just enjoy being able to make a quilt. I love the thought of being a cozy quilter!!!