Do You Have a Lap Dog?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM

He's just Soooo cute!! :)
Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
Originally Posted by Ninnie
Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
I LOVE him!! He's just so cute!! My son has an Irish Wolfhound and she thinks she is a lap dog too! What is it with the giant breeds, they aren't aware of their size? :)

I so want an Irish Wolfhound! I just don't know how they would do in the humid summers here. He is our 3rd Dane, and all have been this way. He weights around 160 now. It is funny to watch them grow. they can gain a lb a day sometimes.
Wolfhounds are couch potatoes, I've had two over the years and they are quite content to veg and take life easy!

The only thing you have to be careful about is anesthetic should they ever require surgery. Because they are a sight hound, they have to have a special anesthetic. I lost my first one because the vet used the wrong anesthetic to neuter him and I had to put the dog down. :(
I would have been so mad, and so heart broken. Danes don't have a long life span, around 10 years if you are lucky. I think most large breeds have things to look out for. We lost our first one to pancreitis, he was 10. We have been always careful of what ours eat. I have seen my DH cry 5 times in our marriage, and 2 of those times were when we lost a Dane. If you want another member of the family, then a large dog is the way to go.
But everything cost more, all vet bills are high, because all shots are givin by weight. It is a big responsibility, but it is a fun time!

It is always hard to believe how small they are as pups. the blues get their name from th fact that their skin is blue when they are little. You can push their hair to the side, and the skin is blue.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Awwww those pics are precious :D:D:D
It is hard to imagine Mortimer that tiny...even seeing the pictures LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Google Goddess

Yes, We have a shih tzu dog and he will be 7 years old this April. We got him March 15, 2009 and he was already trained, tricks the works and he is so spoiled. The couple we got him from said he was not a lap dog but guess what he is. The night we brought him home set him on a chair beside my recliner chair and he crawled over on my lap. Now he is a lap dog for hubby and I.

Karen
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Oh look at my lovely boy!!! (Mortimer NOT Mr Ninnie! LOL)

:-D :-D :-D
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
k3n
Power Poster

PS - My dream dog is an Irish Wolfhound but DH won't let me get one, says our house is too small! Pah! He 'sketched out ' on the floor where the dog would lay in front of the fire and it would nearly fill the room! I don't see a problem, who needs furniture anyway? We could sit on the dog! :lol:
Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
PS - My dream dog is an Irish Wolfhound but DH won't let me get one, says our house is too small! Pah! He 'sketched out ' on the floor where the dog would lay in front of the fire and it would nearly fill the room! I don't see a problem, who needs furniture anyway? We could sit on the dog! :lol:
What makes him think the dog would lay in the floor? :lol: :lol: :lol: Besides large dogs are so much more calm than small, why, you would hardly know he was there.
:-D
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
k3n
Power Poster

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think his REAL reason is that he couldn't hunt with a Wolfhound (in France it's illegal to hunt with sight hounds) and if we got a second dog, he'd want a breed he could hunt with. :cry:
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM

That is one awesome looking dog Ninnie! Your DH does'nt seem to mind that Mortimer is almost as big as he is. Great pictures!!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:55 PM

I say there's no other way to have a dog!!!