Pit bulls

Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

my son asked if he could get a pit bull, I talked to the vet first and he said pit bulls where the best of dogs to get because they were very good with children. so I let him get it. tad pole is his name, and the vet did not lie. he said people make a dog mean. that dog is so wonderful with my grandchildren, he will not let you rough house, he dose not like when people wrestle it up sets him. Penny
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM

I think it has to do with the training the puppy will receive.

Didn't Denver ban pit bulls? I think I read something about that.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 PM

During the fifties this dog was the American Family Dog. Not until these creeps started throwing them into illegal dog fighting pits (which is where the name came from) did they start getting a bad rap, like they have today. The Pit Bull is the most abused animal in the world. The bad back yard breeding and the abuse they are subject to (to make mean dogs) has made so many afraid of them. They really are good family dogs known for their babysitting skills with children. They are like everything thing else, they need resonsible, owners willing to take the time to train them and spend time with them. And with this you will have a wonderful pet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62198.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

We have two dogs a Malamute x Staffy and a Chihuahua x J. Russell, the Malamute mix we have had since a puppy the other a rescue (on adoption was supposed to be 4 but they all seemed to be 4 on the day! so who knows). Both are trained, spend all day with me, are always on a leash with an adult when being walked and never allowed to roam. We love them very much, but out of respect for our animals do not try and humanise them (this can cause behavioural problems with some breeds), they know who is in charge and this is so important. The big dog Luca is a beauty, very good natured but also immensely protective. During the day I can leave my front door open and know, no-one will get to my gate without him knowing about it. If someone strange is allowed in by me, Luca will lie over their feet or lie between them and me....no growling or meaness, just being "visible". I would never leave either of them alone with a child, nor would I let them out unleashed. Our last dog was a dingo hybrid, Sofia, a very clever and beautiful girl, who we lost to cancer. Most of the dogs we have had over the years were considered "difficult", but if raised responsibly and kindly they are wonderful companions and not a safety issue for the community. Inbreeding or careless breeding of temperamentally unsuitable animals is just beyond fixing, and unfortunately euthanasia is usually the only option. Petstores selling "designer dogs" from questionable kennels is one thing that really upsets me. You just know more than half of them will end up in a shelter after the "cuteness" wears off. The latest 'trend" here is Mastiff crossbreeds....gorgeous dogs but not for someone with a tiny yard, no time or training skills and not enough money for good food and vet bills AAAARGGH!!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Beth33
Next door neighbors brought home a pit bull puppy from the pound. Would you be freaked? Or do you think they get a bum wrap?
So here is what happened...
Pittbulls got to be popular and so people started breeding them just to make money, not caring what they were breeding. They bred any two no matter what their tempement was like which started the really mean ones. These were bred to meaner ones which were used for fighting because they were so mean.
When you bred you should be breeding to better the bred by weeding out bad traits by breeding two that have all the good things, i.e. temperment, health, etc.
I beleive a dog no matter what the bred is only as good or bad as the owner raises it. You get a dog and lock it up in the back yard and watch what happens.
I have been an ACO and I have seen what this can do to them. I have seen a dog who waited 1 1/2 years to go to court, mean while they are sitting in a dog run at the shelter. She was not fit for any one by the time it went to court on her bite case. I ahve seen dogs loose it just after being kenneled for just 3 months.
I have a friend who raised pitts for many years and she put down 2 of her puppies due to them showing agressiveness torward the other puppies during feeding. She did not want this dog to end up in the wrong hands nor end up killing someone or something since it was showing so much agression at a young age.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Banned

Depends on the neighbor. Are they good "pet" people? Will they care for and socialize the dog correctly, or throw it in the back yard and pretty much ignore it? All of which makes no difference to the breed of the dog, of course. The best dog I ever had was a Staffordshire. He was the sweetest, most loving, and one of the most submissive (to humans) dogs I've ever seen. I still miss him. Even the vet cried when he had to be put down (old age).
Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 AM

we have had pits in our family for over 13 yrs now, never a problem. I was upset at reading some of these posts and also happy to see all the positive ones. everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter if it is wrong or right so I will leave it at that.

only thing to say is that Anything with teeth can bite.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by STAR

Absolutely! I think the nastiest dogs are Chihuahua's. One expert calls them "Pit-bulls Lite". My sister has one that we call "Satan Rat". I love dogs, but that one would meet the toe of my shoe if she were ever stupid enough to get that close. I would never trust her around a baby. And I read that small dogs bite 10 times more often than large dogs, but, of course the damage is usually slight, so it's brushed off.

PS, I know there are lots of wonderful Chihuahua's. It's a prejudice on my part based on personal experience, so I know it isn't really true for all of them, any more than most of the prejudice against pit-bulls.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by STAR

Absolutely! I think the nastiest dogs are Chihuahua's. One expert calls them "Pit-bulls Lite". My sister has one that we call "Satan Rat". I love dogs, but that one would meet the toe of my shoe if she were ever stupid enough to get that close. I would never trust her around a baby. And I read that small dogs bite 10 times more often than large dogs, but, of course the damage is usually slight, so it's brushed off.

PS, I know there are lots of wonderful Chihuahua's. It's a prejudice on my part based on personal experience, so I know it isn't really true for all of them, any more than most of the prejudice against pit-bulls.
....it's a good thing he doesn't weigh 70 pounds!!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 AM

The only one who listens to me, is me.......and that's only sometimes. LOL

I was raised with beagles or beagle mixes and have continued to adopt that breed thruout my adult life. In the interest of safety for me as well as the piece of mind of neighbors, visitors, friends and other family, I would not bring a breed into my home that has a reputation for aggression, whatever the breed. Nor would I ever keep a pet who demonstrated an aggressive pattern, again, whatever the breed. I have at least 5 experiences of dog attacks on me, my kids and my brother.

I now rent thru a management company and there are specific breeds that they will not rent to because of the liability. ANY pet that is bred/adopted has the instincts to bite and it's not totally dependent solely on how it's raised. It's a gamble all the way around. It's such a weak argument when the up until now docile family pet pulls a 180 and attacks/maims/kills (fill in the blank) owner, owner's kids/baby, pedestrian, neighbor and has to be put down. Then the owner is left confused, in denial or something.

Most of us are just Joe Schmo pet enthusiasts, not trained professionals who have studied animal behaviors. We just do the best we know how and in some cases it has tragic results. In others, it's the best memories we've ever had. Go figure.