Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The dreaded swimsuit shopping >

The dreaded swimsuit shopping

The dreaded swimsuit shopping

Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I feel so much better because I am not alone. BArb - I am looking in the mirror and wonder when I turned into my mother! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

Suppose a trip to Kohl's is in order but I REFUSE to face the changing room mirror. I REFUSE! Those darn things are really slightly disguised fun-house mirrors. NO WAY can I be as lumpy, bumpy, and droopy as they make me out to look - NOPE! Not possible - lol
i think it's worse when you realize you've turned into your grandmother....with the flappy arms & no waist. i swore when i was 14 that i was never going to have....

oh, well, just had a physical & all my numbers except the scale (blood pressure, sugar, heartrate, cholesteral etc) were way low...and my dh doesn't run screaming out of the bedroom when i get ready for bed, so who cares...my oldest son is a chef, you think i'm not eating when he's cooking! ha!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I usually buy a speedo. They wear like iron and have so much spandex they make me look like I might have a shape somewhere. I have a shape and its round but these do help some. Thanks goodness they come in larger sizes too or I couldn't get one.
several years ago, i was talking in front of my dgs about getting in shape... he said" you're a shape grammy, round is a shape" out of the mouths of babes!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM

LOL. I can sympathize with you on that. For my trip to Utah I've been told to bring a suit. Oh sure...I have to find one first. Weight has always been a problem for me so finding a size 24-26 size swimsuit that might look decent will be a challenge. I'm afraid that I'll have to look at Walmart or perhaps Womans World (internet).

I've been told to check out the short/tankini combination so might do that.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Why don't men have to agonize this much?!
They do, just not out loud!!!!
Are you sure? I saw this fabulous cartoon once where an out-of-shape beer-bellied middle-aged droopy guy looked in the mirror and next to him a nice and pretty woman looked in a mirror. What do you think they saw?

He saw something that resembled Mr. Universe and she resembled something that we all have been describing. I think we are programmed wrong.

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
I've been told to check out the short/tankini combination so might do that.
Muuuuch easier to maneuver when nature calls.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
I'm not touching this thread with a 10 foot pole. No sirreeee. Hurts too much. :lol: :oops: :roll:
bawk! ba-ba-bawk!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFL :XD:
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I feel so much better because I am not alone. BArb - I am looking in the mirror and wonder when I turned into my mother! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

Suppose a trip to Kohl's is in order but I REFUSE to face the changing room mirror. I REFUSE! Those darn things are really slightly disguised fun-house mirrors. NO WAY can I be as lumpy, bumpy, and droopy as they make me out to look - NOPE! Not possible - lol
The mirrors in your stores do the same thing? Here I thought it was only in Norway that the darn mirrors were set up to send you home depressed, furious and vowing to become an agoraphobic.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 AM

You think that if they were going to put up those fun mirrors they'd use the skinny ones and not the fat ones. I think they need to talk to their marketing department again. :)
Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 AM

Tankinis are wonderful. QVC was showing some cute suits for the fuller figure yesterday. JC Penny also have some slimming ones.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 AM

This is what they need to do, all these catalogs need models normal women to model these not twiggy, but they will never figure it out.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 AM

I know how you feel Martina...I hate buying and wearing bathing suits. I feel so exposed!! I'm at the point with my kids where I don't have to go into the water, so when we go to the pool, I just sit or lounge...my son always asks why I don't come in. I hate public pools - the volume of urine in there alone is too much for me to stand - we belong to a nice neighborhood pool, but it's full of kids!!

You know its funny too. I lost a lot of weight a couple years ago and I'm the size I always wanted to be. I still look like crap in a bathing suit. It seems to me that it's just not meant to be unless you are an athlete or a model...