Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >
  • Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

• Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 AM
    Power Poster

Most of my fabrics are from Wal Mart and all my quilts have held up very well. Every so often mean, miserable people on this wonderful board likes to start a nasty thread about Wal Marts fabrics, Jealousy won't get you anywhere.
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm going to hit JoAnns half price red tag aisle this weekend, it's a good stash builder.
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've noticed that JoAnn's really plays games with the prices. Being in the business, I know what the wholesale price for the fabrics really is. The whole "regular price" and the coupons, it's all very gimmicky. (That's probably not a real word...)

Last week I noticed, on the calico wall, selections from Springs' "Shenandoah" group. They had them priced at $9.99 / yard. The wholesale price is $3.50 / yard. So, figure, they very often have calico wall at 30% off, so you could buy this fabric at $7 / yard, which is what the regular retail price SHOULD be. And then if you have a 40% coupon, you can get the fabric for 15% off of what the price should have been in the first place.

Another example: their Alexander Henry holiday fabrics that they price at 12.99 / yard and the wholesale price is probably in the range of $4.75 / yard.

So don't panic based upon the prices that you see in JoAnn's! They're phony, and I don't think that their price increases are going to reflect what will happen in your LQS.

What I *do* think is happening, is that with so many Wal-Marts dropping the fabrics, JoAnns knows that they are now the only game left in many towns. So they can do what they will in regards to prices.
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 AM
    Power Poster

Fabric is following the same trend as everything else. The prices just keep going up and up. Sigh.
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm wondering if the discontinued fabric stores like Mill ends and FC Harris are going to raise the price on there fabric. Think i might take a trip over there and pick up some more fabric for quilting and sewing clothes. I am so upset with the clothes these days as they shrink so much when they are washed.
    Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM

I am in the process of cleaning my fabric, I have folded each piece on comic book boards, have used over 600 so far and I was amazed at what I owned. I have been shopping in my fabric room. And what bargains I'm finding......
    Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM

I am on a VERY fixed income. I now grow most of my fresh veggies, have cut meat buying to i/4th and thank God every day for my stash. I don't buy any fabric not on sale or with a coupon.

We meet at JoAnn's twice a month for ASG and it is hard to leave the store without SOMETHING to add to my stash, but leave I do. Many of my fellow sewers are in the same boat and are starting to trade fabric. It's a great way to get rid of " WHY did I buy THAT." One gal's junk is always another's treasure.

Sometimes when we can't find that one color or piece, we take a sample to the meeting and ask if anyone has something that will work. You'd be surprised how often something turns up and the girls are always happy to share.

No, I don't think hand quilting is a dying art. Like other arts, it too will evolve into something else. Look at all that early hand made furniture. It's beautiful but would you want to make all your furniture by hand today? Just because it's machine made doesn't mean it's any less beautiful.
    Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM

I am just wondering why they are raising the price of fabric they already have since they probably already paid for it.
    Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Went to WM today and they were marking all the fabric up.
    Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Every so often mean, miserable people on this wonderful board likes to start a nasty thread about Wal Marts fabrics, Jealousy won't get you anywhere.
    hmmm ... I didn't think opinions make people mean or miserable.

sorry