Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern? >

Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM

happy to help:)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Now that is dedication to helping someone out!!! Above and beyond. Double hugs and smiles for you Shibori!
I agree totally. Thank you so much! I left her a comment on webshots. If she doesn't answer there, I'll send her an email. (Don't want to look like a stalker.) And I'm going to bookmark this page so I don't lose track of all this great info. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 AM

Beautiful pattern! and fabric! good work!

I would stitch it by hand, until it fits right, then sew it with machine.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I wish I could help you out. good luck and God bless. Penny
Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM

I did Valori Wells pattern "Paprika" which is basically the same - all NY Beauty blocks, just different sizes. I didn't have any problems with the centers. Did you make tiny 1/8" slits all along both the curved edges? HOWEVER, my avatar quilt which is also one of her patterns, had several mistakes in it - but not on the NYB blocks, just on the landscape portions...so was able to 'wing it'. I encourage you to not give up because her patterns are really stunning when completed. I brought the Paprika quilt top to Sparky's in March - "Fear No Red" I call it. Did you see it?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I did Valori Wells pattern "Paprika" which is basically the same - all NY Beauty blocks, just different sizes. I didn't have any problems with the centers. Did you make tiny 1/8" slits all along both the curved edges? HOWEVER, my avatar quilt which is also one of her patterns, had several mistakes in it - but not on the NYB blocks, just on the landscape portions...so was able to 'wing it'. I encourage you to not give up because her patterns are really stunning when completed. I brought the Paprika quilt top to Sparky's in March - "Fear No Red" I call it. Did you see it?
No, I haven't seen it. This pattern is not exactly like NY Beauty blocks because the suns are elongated rather than round. I have not had problems with NY Beauty blocks. I've made those and they've always lain nice and flat. These could not be made without puckers--at least I couldn't do it. I have the same pattern as your avatar, but haven't made it yet. I guess I'll be on the lookout for mistakes when I do it. There are mistakes in the Firefly pattern too, but only with respect to how wide to cut the strips for the rays of the sun. Those are the only ones she identifies, but I swear there has to be something wrong with the suns too. And yes, I tried clipping it. I tried not clipping it. I tried sewing on one side, then the other side. I tried a running stitch through the rays and I tried it without a running stitch. If you can think of it, I have tried it. I am convinced that it can't be done--not as written. I would be hesitant to try another of her patterns with so many identified mistakes in the ones I know about. They are pretty in the pictures, but the pictures don't always translate well into the patterns she is producing. My opinion.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 AM

All I can think of is that the template for the centers are off in size.
Re: my avatar quilt pattern: the mistakes in the pattern that I recall were in the mountains. They didn't line up correctly. I was quite perturbed at that time, because she is well known in the quilting world. I wondered, "did she actually MAKE this pattern first before printing it??" Perhaps you should attend the Sister's Quilt Show July 10th and hunt her down!! LOL
Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 AM

What you have done so far is absolutely beautiful! even with the little tuck.
and I love paperpiecing, suns and stars and all points....
This has bugged me since you first posted, so today I decided to order the book, it appears it only is sold as included in a book now, I found a copy on Amazon rather cheap it will be here by the end of the month.
I've got to try it, but will definetly try it on not so liked material first. Your batiks are beautiful!! Maybe we can figure this out together. If not will go from there.

I see she has a blog, have you gone there yet? just curious.
Judy
Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 AM

I carried the pattern in my store. I might even have one or two left in some box (closed store) I made it and didn't have any problems. Are you leaving the paper on till it is all finished? Pulling off before distorts it. I made a lot Wells patterns and have some of her material. I always like her things. Hope it works out for you
Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 AM

I carried the pattern in my store. I might even have one or two left in some box (closed store) I made it and didn't have any problems. Are you leaving the paper on till it is all finished? Pulling off before distorts it. I made a lot Wells patterns and have some of her material. I always like her things. Hope it works out for you