Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much Do You Spend? >

How Much Do You Spend?

How Much Do You Spend?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 AM

I think I'm a bit spoiled in that my husband feels quilting is a great therapy for me and that I should spend some time each day at it, if I feel up to it, lol. So, he's very generous with it. But, I still haven't convinced him that we should give up the dining room so I can have room for a longarm, lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM

I have one now that i am working on i have only spent about 3.00 on but will have to get backing and batting but i have done one that has over 300.00 in fabrics not counting the backing and batting. i buy a lot of fabric and i normally dont buy from the LQS unless it is on a good sale i never buy at Joann's without a coupon and the same for Hancok's
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Don't want to know! Only use fabric from LQS.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM

My quilt shop has a month class for using your stash. So I went. I had a bundle of asian strips, and the pattern was for strip blocks. Well, I didn't totally like all the strips I had. Some were very dark. so I bought some more fabric in light colors to add to the stash. Then I bought fabric for the borders to bring it all together, and then I found this great Asian fabric for the back of the quilt.

So I spent $100 using my stash and ended up with more stash to boot. So I have only done one of the stash busting quilts because I ended up with more stash than I started with. Oh well.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Our LQS also does a block of the month, where if you buy the first block and finish it by the next month, they give you the material for the following month. SO if you go every month with a finished block, you end up with 12 blocks for the price of one. If you want you can purchase a finishing kit for whatever size quilt you want to make. This has been a fairly painless way to make quilts. This year for the small finishing kit I paid $70 and the first month was $10. So for $80 (plus quilting around another $70) I'll have a finished quilt.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Goodness I have no idea. I don't think I want to know. Most fabric is bought on sale or with coupons the same for the batting. The backing is what keeps my tops from getting finished. I have to put out a , for me, big chunk of change all at once for that.Now that I am making doggy stuff I have to sit down and figure out the cost per including my time since I will be selling it. Kinda takes the fun out of it.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

I agree I spend anywhere from $250-$600. Depends...my daughters college graduatin quilt just cost me around $450 and I had someone print the pictures for me and didn't have to pay them.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I'm just curious...on average, how much do you spend when making a quilt? I think I invested about $30.00 in my first quilt. I haven't purchased binding or backing so the cost is definitely going up. Hopefully, I can really get my monies worth w/my JoAnn's 50% off coupon.

I know there's a lot of variables, but just wondering.
Well, I have a great big gigantic stash and often "shop" from that. If I had to buy all the fabrics for the top, maybe 10-12 yds, it would be $60-$120. But I usually just buy fabric for the backing, binding, and borders. Backing for a bed quilt is between $40-$90, borders between $12-$40, binding $5-10. Batting can be $20-$40. Thread is geting pricey too, and I use miles and miles of it. I quilt my own, either by hand or on the longarm. I think an average bed quilt would cost me between $125-250.

Quilting keeps me happy and sane, and wow, it's so much cheaper than therapy or alcohol.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

A long Arm. Now how smart is that? About the same thing happened to me. I learned to quilt a queen-sized quilt for my bed, and was told that the instructor was leaving to go back north in a couple of days!!! What to do???? She told me to take it to another quilting class on the other side of my town ( about 10 miles) away. No, I don't think so. Then she gave me a business card of a woman who could help and told me the same thing you were told, but I chose not to do it. I completed it on my own. It has taken me a good six months, but its still not done. Its the rail fence pattern. So whenever I don't have my present quilting, I always go back to this. I purchased the fabric; mostly FQ, at my LQS, and paid close to $300-$500 for it. When its completed, I'll post pixs.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Yeah most of my quilts are smaller, but I have a hard time buying fabrics that have no current purpose, so I miss out on most of the sales. I’d say I usually spend $100 to $150.

Rachel
You probably "miss out" on having a closet full of fabrics that hold no interest for you anymore. A fellow guild member has no stash or leftovers I used to think she was odd now I think she is the smart one.