Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • UGH!!!!! >
  • UGH!!!!!

• UGH!!!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM

But if the fabric was one sale, Then I would be happy. Can't expect, in this economy, to get 30% off quilt fabric and then use 50% coupon. How would they ever stay in business. I just love to get a discount of any kind and save that discount coupon for something I might need (like rulers and thread) which is usually not on sale.
    Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MillieH
    JoAnn's, Hancocks--all franchise stores, so what each does or how it handles a situation is up to the owner/manager of that particular store. Some are good; others really stink!
    You said it, sister :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
    But if the fabric was one sale, Then I would be happy. Can't expect, in this economy, to get 30% off quilt fabric and then use 50% coupon. How would they ever stay in business. I just love to get a discount of any kind and save that discount coupon for something I might need (like rulers and thread) which is usually not on sale.
    They use to let you use your 50% off coupon BUT the material had to go back to reg. price. [OR what ever was on sale] No one I knew had a problem with that. They changed the rules on that one.
    Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
    I usually use my coupons on things like batting or wide fabrics. When batting is not on sale I have gotten several yards of it with the coupon. Also I have gotten a pack of blades. It feels weird to go into a store and look for what is not for sale. Basically the coupons are a bait to get you into the store.
    You got it !!!!!!!
    Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM

I guess I'll add to the Joann's venting. Went in and found fabric for a tote bag. It was marked at 7.99 a yard and had a 5.00/yard sticker on it. All I needed was one yard; had the fabric cut and when I questioned the price I was told that the 5.oo/yard meant that there was 5 yards on the bolt. I have been sewing for more years than I care to remember and have NEVER heard that one before. Because I really liked the fabric I bought it. So beware and really look at the ends of the bolts.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM

I totally agree. I don't even bother to take a coupon anymore if I have a choice I go somewhere else.
    Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
    Power Poster

Yes I think it is their way of getting you into the store because you can't use the coupon on anything but you always go home with something.
    Old 06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
    prm

I always use the 50% coupon for something. There are certain things I wait to buy with the 50% off (just got an 8" rotating cutting mat by Fiskars and a new Olaf cutting mat) If nothing else I will buy stabilizer or sticky spray for my machine embroidery which I can always use. I never let a 50% go to waste.

PRM
    Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by iltoaz
    I guess I'll add to the Joann's venting. Went in and found fabric for a tote bag. It was marked at 7.99 a yard and had a 5.00/yard sticker on it. All I needed was one yard; had the fabric cut and when I questioned the price I was told that the 5.oo/yard meant that there was 5 yards on the bolt. I have been sewing for more years than I care to remember and have NEVER heard that one before. Because I really liked the fabric I bought it. So beware and really look at the ends of the bolts.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Boy, that 5 yards on the bolt is quite a hoot! Bolts generally come with 15 to 20 yards and I am fairly sure the store would NOT PAY and employee to go around marking how many yards were left on each bolt of fabric every other day. Someone was pulling your strings. This is one reason (in addition to the coupons never working for what I want) is why I have all but written JoAnns off my shopping list. Another disheartening thing for me is that they will not tell me the name of the manufacturer of a fabric. Knowing that would tell me (especially over the Internet) if I wanted to use the fabric as a quilting fabric. So many times I get their quilting fabrics and they are not what I would want to waste my time in stippling or echoing a design.
    Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Go to www.fabricdepot.com
    Online orders are discounted at least 25% and shipping is reasonable. Huge store...big selection. Portland Or